Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, September 3, 2010

Labor Day Thoughts

Before beginning today's post, I'd like to thank Jules, at trying to get over the rainbow: http://fragilemouse.blogspot.com/2010/09/200th-and-another-award.html#more, for passing along this lovely award. In keeping with bloggydom tradition, I am passing it along to Alexis Grant: http://alexisgrant.com/ because of her post on Wednesday.

I want to wish everyone a wonderful holiday weekend. We've got big doings. My son is arriving today for a quick visit. Tonight is dinner with good friends. Tomorrow a day trip somewhere in the Land of Enchantment. Sunday's an annual pool party at our friend's house and Monday, hubs and I collapse. Only kidding.

It's odd to be at this stage in my life. I've always been such a type-a, super-productive personality. So to not have that kind of energy going on with my writing feels weird, as if something is wrong. But it isn't. I know I am not supposed to think of writing as a career, because that sets me up for failure. If I think of it as just doing something I love, no matter what happens or doesn't happen, it will be all right with me.

The story is coming in dribs and drabs. It is so very hard to get myself into the quiet, meditative state that seems to be needed for this particular story to emerge. And even when I do manage to do that, sometimes nothing happens. Sometimes a blurb comes. I'm getting to be very okay with this. I simply turn my attention elsewhere.

My singing group is almost a full-time job. It's certainly a full-time commitment. Between choosing songs, trying them out, making practice cd's, working out choreography, then practicing them, it's a huge time and energy experience. But I love it. It's a dream come true. And so much fun! Just want to say it's never too late to pursue a dream.

Are there any dreams from your childhood you'd still love to make come true?
Blessings,
karen

14 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

Yep. I have many dreams I would still like to come true. I want to write a picture book. I always have. And I want to learn to play the guitar and speak French fluently ( I speak very broken french) Other than that... ooh there are other things too :)

Have a wonderful weekend Karen.

Jules said...

Yes. I want to drive to Alaska and see the other ten states I have yet to visit. I drive, no fly.

By the way, I have to tell myself the same thing about writing, "Just do it, you love it."

Hang in there my friend :D
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Mason Canyon said...

I hope we never run out of dreams. Sounds like you've got a busy weekend planned. Find some time to relax. Have a safe and happy Labor Day holiday.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Have a great weekend! And I'm at a point right now where I just don't feel like writing. I do need to set some new goals, because the four big dreams of my childhood have already come true. (Bummer one wasn't to make a million dollars - LOL!)

Karen Walker said...

Tab, I learned guitar at 50. Keep dreamin' sweetie.
Mason, yes, may none of us ever run out of dreams.
Jules, yes, yes yes,
Diane, wow, four big dreams coming true. I'd say it's time for some new ones!
Karen

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I certainly have no aspirations of making writing a career.
And congratulations on the award! I'm glad my award is making the rounds.

Ann said...

My dreams are surrounded in a film cloud, waiting for the sunshine to ripen them.

Have a wonderful weekend. I too have a house filled with sons, daughter, son-in-law and girlfriends. Busy cooking all weekend. Back on Monday when they all leave!

Clarissa Draper said...

Any dreams from childhood? Well, I always wanted to be an actor.
CD

Tamika: said...

It sounds like you have a fabulous weekend planned!

Congratulations on the award too:) I hope to find a quiet nook in the house this weekend and spend with my story.

KK Brees said...

I still want to learn to yodel. Seriously. I have tried and tried and this is something I am determined to figure out. Sounds dumb, I know, but it's real.

Jemi Fraser said...

You have such a lovely life - so full of joy and love! :)

I was a pretty imaginative child so I have a lot of dreams yet to be filled: being in space, owning a horse ranch, being a pro volleyball player (I'm barely over 5 ft), cartooning for Disney, writing for Star Trek... And there were probably some realistic dreams in there too :)

arlee bird said...

I'm sure the inspiration and fire will come to you when it's ready. Enjoying friends and family is pretty darn important and if you enjoy the singing then that's important too. The writing will come out when it needs to. I achieved several childhood goals and now I'm working on the writing. Maybe someday I'll go back to do something with music. Overall though my life is pretty fulfilled.

Have a great week end!

Lee
Tossing It Out

Alexis Grant said...

Hey Karen -- Just getting here today (took the weekend away from the computer!). Thanks for the award! You're so sweet. And I love your last line today, that it's never too late to follow your dreams. So true! I like to think that our dreams change throughout our lives, too, so it's never too late to pursue a NEW dream.

Happy Labor Day!

Anonymous said...

[url=http://where-is-my-water.ru/]where-is-my-water.ru[/url]