Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, September 6, 2010

Monday Musings

I don't blog over the weekend, so I was surprised when I came to write this post that I'd lost two followers since Friday. Do you ever wonder why someone chooses to stop following you? Did you say something offensive? Did you not follow them back? I have to confess, I don't always remember to connect with a new follower and check out their blog. I remember several days later, but by then it may be too late. That person may be hurt that I didn't immediately respond. I used to get quite upset about this. Now, I try to just shrug it off. This blog is not everyone's cup of tea.

The visit with my son was wonderful. We spent Saturday hiking in the Pecos Wilderness, about two hours drive from Albuquerque. The weather was perfect, not too hot, and being outdoors was just what everyone needed.

I am dealing with some really difficult issues, so I am going to keep this rather short today. I hope everyone is enjoying this Labor Day holiday.

Blessings,
Karen

19 comments:

Jules said...

Yes I have wondered about those type followers and yes it would be nice if they told you why.

Glad you had a wonderful time outdoors. I think I'll try today.


Difficult issues? I will keep you in my prayers :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Tabitha Bird said...

Well Karen, you know I love you and your blog :) I am never 'unfollowing' you :)

I hope whatever you are going through right now there is someone close to hold you tight :) Hugs to you. You know I am always here.

Glynis said...

I lost one this week and one last month. I gained two in their place so still have a few away from 200.

Take care x

Jessica Carmen Bell said...

I've lost a few, but then I've gained again. I guess it's people who you forget about, either becuase they post during a time that you're not online and never see them in your feed. There are probably lots of reasons. But people have got to understand, once you get past that 100 follower mark, it's not easy at all to keep up. I feel bad for neglecting blogs, but there are just so many hours in the day :o(

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like a great weekend!

Unless someone makes a comment on the blog, I can't always follow them back - there are no links. When I lost a follower last month I assumed it was one of these people and that they thought I wasn't interested in them. Makes me sad.

Vicki Rocho said...

Don't worry about losing followers. I recently cleaned out my blog roll. I'm nearing 300 and there were some in there that I never visited mostly because their content wasn't anything I was interested in. Not offensive, just odd content that never really called to me. Not sure how they ended up on the list in the first place.

Mason Canyon said...

I can't always find links back to followers so sometimes they do drop off. Wish they didn't but I guess my site just wasn't for them after all.

Sounds like a great weekend. Hope your issues work out well and you have a great Labor Day. Take care.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sometimes when I click on the icon, there's no blog listed, and if they don't leave a comment, I can't access the profile, either. So I miss following a few people, too. Don't worry about it.

Rayna M. Iyer said...

I am sure it has nothing to do with you- many people spring clean on weekends, and maybe they just forgot why they had started following you in the first place.

In any case, if anyone chooses to un-follow, it would be decent if they leave a comment before they do. If they can't be bothered, you are better off without them.

Mary said...

Don' worry about it when someone drops off. I think sometime they decide to follow because of one post and then discover that maybe that's not what you write all the time.
One ex-follower told me I shouldn't have "guns" in my title if I don't sell them. Did he not see the "giggles" and little guy rolling with laughter?
Like anything else you win some; you lose some.
For what it's worth I love your blog.

Karen Walker said...

You people are just the best. It never fails. I write about something that's bothering me and you always have just the right thing to say.
It's odd to feel loving towards people you've never actually met. Thank you so much. I'll share more about the "issues" real soon.
Karen

Ann said...

Last weekend I lost two followers too. I turned on my computer on Saturday and one was gone I turned on my computer Sunday and number two was gone. Like you I wondered what I had done to send them packing. HeyHo! I am glad you had an enjoyable day with your son and hope whatever you are dealing with today soon passes. Take care.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Mine fluctuates, but since I never can remember the actual total, I usually don't notice. And if they weren't commenting or anything, does it really matter that they are gone?

KK Brees said...

It's impossible to know what goes in someone else's mind. However, it takes energy to unfollow and I guess that means something. I've decided not to worry about the followers. I'm going to write and blog and be in the moment. People will do what they will do. Their problems are not your fault.

Clarissa Draper said...

I think it could be a number of reasons (a) you didn't follow them back (b) they had too many blogs to follow and so had to delete some (c) they left the bloggosphere (d) they died.

Well, it happens to us all. YOu still have me as a follower.

CD

Helen Ginger said...

I doubt it was anything personal. Sometimes folks just try to condense their lists.

I hope things will be okay with you soon. And I hope you have a wonderful Labor day!

Helen

Sharon Lippincott said...

I think Clarissa and Helen hit the nail on the head. I follow a lot of blogs. I read a very few. I just can't absorb it all, so I hop around. I've never un-followed anyone, but following them doesn't mean much, so neither would it mean much if I condensed my list.

Blessings on dealing with your difficult issues.

Anonymous said...

I lurked.

-Simona

Patricia Stoltey said...

Losing a follower might just be a matter of someone cleaning out his Google Reader and focusing on genre writers or blogs about cats. Like you, I often don't have time to check out a new follower right away. On the other hand, if I start following someone else's blog, it's because I want to be reminded to visit the blog from time to time, not because I'm searching for paybacks.

Patricia