Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, September 13, 2010

Monday Musings

I seem to be surrounded by close friends and family with health issues right now. It is hard to maintain my own center and balance, but I am managing just fine.  I had a moment on Saturday, while singing at a retirement community, of pure bliss. I was singing "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" and looked out at the faces of those in the audience, and I saw such joy. It reminded me of why I have a singing group that volunteers its time to sing at these facilities. The heart connection is what is important, not hitting the right notes or doing the moves perfectly. The same is true in life. It's the connections we have with ourselves, with Spirit, and with each other that matters. The rest is just details.

Talking Writing has launched a new literary magazine and is looking for submissions of new work (there are guidelines on the site). They will also start reviewing various literary and journalistic blogs in the magazine and would be very happy to hear from writers about their blogs--or suggestions from other writers about good blogs. Last but not least, they are looking for writers to do short opinion pieces for a column about mystery writing ("Talking Mystery").Here's the link: http://talkingwriting.com/

I am in a sink hole in terms of my writing. So much of my time and energy is devoted to family members and friends who have health issues that I haven't written a word (except these blog posts) in weeks. I am trusting that this is okay for now, since there seems to be no choice in the matter, although I know we always have choices in any given moment. But there is just so much energy one person has, and between the crises and my Sugartime commitments, and taking care of house and hubs, there's nothing left over. So, I am making sure I eat write, get back to exercising regularly, and trying to get a good a night's sleep as possible. And continually turn everyone over to Spirit. I'm not in charge, thank goodness.

What are you musing about today?
Blessings,
Karen

Blessings,
karen

18 comments:

Jody Hedlund said...

Hi Karen,

I had a really long season where I had to put my writing aside. Except for journal writing, I didn't write anything for quite some time. But in hindsight, I can see how that time enriched me and helped me grow, so that when I did start writing again, I was stronger and more ready. Hope this time will be like that for you!

Glynis said...

My time to down my pen will come soon, I am sure. Like Jody, I think time out makes us stronger.

Stay strong. x

Jules said...

I just wanted to express a BIG thank you for your time spent at those communities. I visit my grandmothers and see the exact same thing with just a simple "Hello."

As to your writing...it is in spirit's hand as well. It will happen my friend :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Vicki Rocho said...

Perhaps your experiences now are meant to feed your writing later? Sort of forced hands-on research?

Sending prayers for improved health your way--pass it on to those who need it most!

Mason Canyon said...

I agree with Vicki, maybe this is a type of research that will feed your writing in the future. Continue to take care of yourself. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I know exactly how you feel...

Karen Walker said...

Jody, thanks for this. I sure hope my experience becomes similar to yours.
Glynis, I'm working on it (staying strong, that is,). Thanks.
Jules, thanks for the thanks. Yes, it's a blessing that goes both ways. And truly, everything is in Spirit's hands, isn't it?
Vicki, I think you're right. I just can't see it just now. Thanks for the prayers.
Mason, I know it will feed my writing. I just don't do well when I'm not writing at all and it's just not there right now. But I know it will be again. Thanks for your support.
Karen

Karen Walker said...

Diane, I am so sorry you know how I feel. We should talk.
Karen

Helen Ginger said...

I love the slip as you were typing: I am making sure I eat write...

Sounds like perhaps you're writing in your mind even though you don't have time to do it on the computer.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

There's a time and place for everything. Just take care of your own health right now.

The Old Silly said...

All experiences, good, bad, so-so, scary, disheartening, uplifting, are ALL grist for the mill in out spiritual growth, and great fodder for us as writers, hmm? Trick is to stay centered, experience, live it without being caught and thrown off center and due course by the deep and precarious experiences.

Good muse today, Karen...

Tamika: said...

Funny that my husband and I were just talking about my writing time last night. I was moaning about taking so long with the rewrites for this novel, and blah blah.

He lovingly reminded me to enjoy the journey, to make writing my love not my obligation.

Blessings Karen:)

cassandrajade said...

Sometimes writing just needs to take a back seat. It is all about priorities and sometimes other things have to come first.
Wishing you the best.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

You know, Karen, blogging counts as writing! You're keeping those writing wheels turning...no rust anywhere on them! It's just like journaling, which is another way to stay in practice.

When life settles down a bit more, the writing will still be there, ready to be picked up. It's not going anywhere.

Hugs to you...

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Sometimes life does interfere with our best laid writing plans, but I’m sure you’ll know when it’s time to start writing again. I just spent a wonderful few days with a dear old friend so I am having a bit of a hard time making myself get back into my writing/blogging routine.

Karen Walker said...

Helen, wow, that is quite a slip. Guess my unconscious is still "writing."
Alex,yes, that's the plan - take good care of me.
Thanks, Old Silly. Coming from you, that means a lot.
Oh, good reminder, Tamika. Enjoy the journey! Yes!
Cassandra, thanks for the visit and the comment and the wise words.
Elizabeth, you're right. Blogging is writing and it does count. Hugs right back at ya.
Jane, with all you've been through healthwise, you deserve time with a dear old friend with no worries whatsoever. Glad you took them.
Karen

Jemi Fraser said...

Real life and real people always come first. Take care of yourself and your loved ones - everything else will fall into place. Take care.

Stephen Tremp said...

Right now I just want to sleep. Been a rough day. Tomorrow I will awake anew and start to think of something semi-intelligent to day and write, then work on it and go from there.

Stephen Tremp