Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, October 22, 2010

Life is Fragile

Helen Ginger, over at http://straightfromhel.blogspot.com/ tagged me in a meme about handwriting. I am supposed to answer the eight questions, handwritten, and pass it along to other folks. Helen, thanks so much for thinking of me, but I am going to pass on this one. I have an awful handwriting, let's just leave it at that.

I didn't do my usual Telling the Truth Tuesday because of Alex's humongous internet blitz of his debut novel, so I am going to speak my truth today instead. Last Thursday, a very dear friend of ours was riding his bicycle with a buddy. The buddy was in front. Our friend, G, said, "I don't think I ate enough." A few minutes later, his buddy heard a thud. When he turned back, he found G unconscious on the ground. The paramedics arrived within five minutes and G was taken to the trauma center with a concussion, a bleeding brain, a broken collar bone, several fractured ribs, and one eye closed shut with muscle damage (thankfully, the vision  is not impaired).

It looks as if G will be all right, but it will be a long, slow recovery. What this brings home to me is how fragile life is and that it can turn on a dime. It doesn't mean we live life in fear of what will happen. For me, it reminds me to live each moment as best I can, as full out as I can, because you just don't know.

So I am asking myself if there are things I want to be doing that I'm not. Are there things I'm doing that I don't want to be doing and can I let go of them? Are there people in my life with whom I don't feel comfortable? Are they adding to my stress or relieving it? Can I do something about it?

Even if it means potentially hurting someone's feelings, I am scrutinizing my relationships and will be saying and doing the tough things I normally avoid. Because life is too short not to.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad your friend will be all right.
Life IS short - and often unexpected.

Mary said...

Prayers to G!

I've learned the hard way that life is too short and stress makes it more so.

Mason Canyon said...

This post brings out a very important point - life is fragile and sometimes changes in the blink of an eye. Hope you friend continues to recover well. Have a wonderful weekend.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Joanne said...

A friend of mine has a philosophy to live with "no regrets." That sounds a little like what you're saying here. Hope your friend pulls through okay!

Jules said...

Yes, Karen it is ever so fragile. The blink of an eye...

I too have been spending time evaluating relationships, way too much wasted time and effort.

Prayers and hugs my friend
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

KK Brees said...

For each of us, if we're fortunate, this moment of epiphany comes. Mine came 6 years ago and has changed both my outlook and the way I live life. Life is a gift not to be wasted and not to be hoarded. Live, love, laugh, and above all, have faith.

Arlee Bird said...

I'm increasingly concerned about how I use my time. I hate just frittering away time that could be used to much greater value, but also realize that occasionally down time is necessary for regrouping and relaxing. Time is the most prescious asset we have--especially when shared with those we love or care about.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Anonymous said...

I lurked.

-Simona

Ellen aka Ella said...

Hi Karen,
I learned at 18, how fragile life is, when my Dad died suddenly. I still have moments of being geared up and then quiet, not doing as much. I agree, I had an incident this week, with a so called friend, that is making me reevaluate my relationships. Time to make some changes, I think I need a day every month to check and see how I am doing on my improvement list. Thank you for the reminder~

Glad G will be okay~!

Jody Hedlund said...

Those kinds of occurances really do put life in perspective, Karen. I really like your questions at the end of your post. I need to remember to ask myself them more often!

Patricia Stoltey said...

Wow! How quickly things can change. I wish your friend a speedy recovery.