Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, October 25, 2010

Monday Musings

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers and kind words about my friend, G. He's recovering, slowly but surely. I'm still working through what this potentially life-threatening event teaches me. How being angry and holding grudges hurts no one but me. How clinging to dysfunctional relationships keeps me stuck. How important it is to put myself in a loving, gracious, kind energy in every moment I can. Allowing my light to shine through and touch others. When my light dims, it affects everyone around me. That is true for all of us. So I am learning to pay attention to when my light dims, seek out the reasons why, and figure out ways to remove the obstacles to my light shining as brightly as it possibly can.

My singing group, Sugartime, actually received some money this past weekend from two different retirement communities. Yahoo! It's peanuts in the scheme of things, but it does reimburse us for props and CD's and such. And it makes our hearts happy dance.

Still trying to balance singing, household responsibilities and writing two books. Seems as if the writing is what always gets sacrificed. It's like now that I told myself I'm retired so it doesn't really matter, I think I can let that go. Uh uh. It's one of the two things that most feeds my soul. But I can't seem to go to the deep place inside me that I need to go for this writing to emerge if I can a to-do list on my mind. Sigh!

I'm feeling a bit disconnected from bloggydom these days. So many people are high energy promoting their books and it's wonderful to watch and see that. At the same time, it makes me sad that I couldn't do that for my own book. I started blogging after my book came out and now it feels too late to do a book blog tour. But the truth is, my energy just isn't there for promoting "Following the Whispers" anymore. Perhaps whoever needed to read it has already found it. We'll just have to see.

How about you? Where is your energy being spent and is it in the right places?
Blessings,
Karen

15 comments:

Jules said...

As to your light.."This little light of mine, I'm gonna let shine..." just sing a few bars. Always cheers me up. :)

As to energy I'm still working on where to find it and how to use it. I bought a hat with a solar panel on it, maybe that will help :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Jessica Bell said...

There's nothing wrong with promoting late. Anyway, I've got your book and it's next in line to be read after I finish the one on now :o) I'll review it for ya!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

As I've learned, it's easy to sacrifice the writing. (Which is why I'm doing NaNo next month - force it to the top spot.) Don't sacrifice yours, Karen. Whatever your next book, you know I'll be happy to promote it.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Whatever is most important you will find time to do.

Joanne said...

I like your thought on when our light dims, it affects so many around us. There's a lot of truth to that, very powerfully. My energy right now is divided between writing, and wallpaper removing! Good times ...

Karen Walker said...

Jules, yes, I love that song and it does lift my up.
Jessica, wow, thanks so much for that.
Alex, you're a gem. Hope that happens someday.
Diane, yes, I think we do find our way to what is most important.
Joanne, thank you. I've been thinking a lot about how I impact the world around me and how I can improve upon that.
Karen

KK Brees said...

I've got your book, as well, and I'd be happy to post a review for you. Writing seems to be taking a back seat right now to blogging and promoting, but I'm imposing a limit on the promotion aspects. I need to be writing and will be doing NaNoWriMo to get back on track.

KarenG said...

I always relate to your posts! And the energy required for promoting one's book? Whew, exhausting, which is why it's best to happen in the first flush of editing & publishing excitement.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Thanks for the words of wisdom, Karen! And you're right..there's only so much energy that we have to spend. We have to portion it out through so many things! It shifts from time to time, doesn't it...what the focus is. My focus right now is on writing and family, but it's a delicate balance between the two.

Karen Walker said...

Karen, wow, thanks for wanting to read it. Let's see how you like it before agreeing to a review, hmmm?
Karen, yes, it's exhausting and I probably should have done more when it first came out, but I truly didn't know what I was doing.
Elizabeth, I truly don't know how you manage everything, but your family seems to be doing well and so is your writing, so you must be doing something right.
Karen

Helen Ginger said...

You could still do a tour. It's up to you, though. Tours are time-consuming and it seems you already are short on writing time.

There seems to always be something that gets in the way of writing for me. Things that I can't put off - and so I put off writing. Sounds familiar, huh?

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I, too, am in awe at some of the virtual book blog tours authors are doing. I didn’t do one for my first book. I’ve told myself I’m going to when the second is released, but the whole idea scares me. I’m just not sure I have the energy for it.

Lynn said...

Your heart doing the happy dance from reimbursements for singing makes me happy for you. May that happy heart be extended to other areas in your life very soon.

Stephen Tremp said...

I think so. I get up and thank God for his mercies being renewed day by day. Mornings are kinda hectic so I wait for my mid-day 4.5 mile walk to take care of business with Him. One has to be realistic and I just can't take care of things in the a.m. So I wait for my walks. Its okay. God isn't stupid and he can listen to me during lunch just as easily as in the early mornings.

Stephen Tremp

Patricia Stoltey said...

My energy is sure going somewhere because I'm really pooped every evening. :)