Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Telling the truth Tuesday - technology

Our television started fritzing out. Since it's 15 years old, we didn't even investigate what was wrong with it - just decided to get a new one. Hubs is not one of those guys who needs every new-fangled gadget that comes out, thank goodness. And certainly, neither am I. But we both love watching movies, so we thought one of those big, flat-screened, HGTV ones would be nice. As we researched, we had to learn about plasma versus LCD versus LED. Turns out plasma doesn't work so well in high altitudes, so that was out. LED lasts longer than LCD, plus it's better energy wise for the environment. Then we were told there was one that had a Netflix app on it so we could stream movies to the TV instantly, rather than having DVD's mailed to us.

That sold us. We got one. Happy dance over here. Till we tried to access Netflix. No dice. Called the cable company. Called the maker of the TV. Called Netflix, who told us that the TV maker jumped the gun and said there was an app when there wasn't. After spending several hundred dollars more to have this, I was not a happy camper.

Then I decided to try accessing the app one more time. Voila! It went thru. Called Netflix back and told them their customer service rep needed some coaching. We're still having trouble with slow internet access, which interrupts the movie to reload or whatever.

The good news is I'm getting better at handling all this tech stuff that used to terrify me and make me very cranky. The bad news is, just like bloggydom and surfing the web, I pods, and other tech ways of living our lives, I have to beware that this doesn't become another time suck that keeps me from what is truly important in my world.

Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

Sharon Lippincott said...

Oh, Karen, been there, done that. I embraced technology with open arms nearly thirty years ago, but keeping up with new evolutions is crushing. It's maddening when things that used to work don't -- like the file manager for my three-year-old mp3 player is obsolete with Win 7 and Creative has no plans to update it. "Buy a new one!" When I do, it probably won't be a Creative product!

Some days I want to go back to stone and chisel! Or paint on my cave wall with ashes.

It is empowering and exciting to overcome the glitches though. Some grand purpose is surely being worked out.

Hooray for you for overcoming all this with Netflix and staying relatively serene. Your attitude is a good reminder.

Jules said...

Amen and Hooray! I have an LCD and love it. Netflix I'm thinking of getting through the Wii. Since I have no husband I'm the gadget guru and I hate directions. Must be why every time I flush the toilet the TV comes on :D
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Mason Canyon said...

I used to be one of those people who loved all the bells and whistles I could get on anything. As I get older, I just want it simpler. LOL Glad you got the TV to work as they said it would.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Jen Chandler said...

Good for you! I'm a techno dunce! Thanfully, my husband loves gadgets, so I let him deal with the wires and such!

Glad you were able to get the Netflix up and running :)

Cheers!
Jen

Glynis said...

DH loves TV technology. He has all the top of the range,gadgets. Six boxes and an enormous TV. I hate it, rarely watch it and wish I could put a lovely writing table in its place. :)

Tamika: said...

Yay Karen:) New toys are always fun!

Learning to navigate in this highly technical age is challenging for me too. Everytime I grasp one thing they come up with a new improved version of that very thing!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Another NetFlix junkie! Isn't it awesome most TVs and DVD players now come with that feature?
Be thankful - I do crave new gadgets.

Mary said...

Some of these comments were as entertaining as your post!
Glad you're enjoying the new TV. I love netflix, too.

Patricia Stoltey said...

My husband and I are both gadget silly -- I'm now lusting after a Flip video camera and an e-reader. Hubby just bought us a second TV so he wouldn't feel guilty hogging the TV for sports.

I do watch a lot of television, but only in the evenings. I record all my favorite shows and eventually get around to watching most of them (happily zipping through the commercials). My biggest weakness is movies, though. I love Netflix.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Technology makes our lives easier, faster, and busier!!

Ann said...

I wouldn't even venture there to be honest. Turning on our telly is enough to put me off. Well done you for not letting it beat you and persevering.