Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, October 11, 2010

Unplugged

I am out of town this week dealing with a family member's health issue. Before I left, however, hubs and I went to see the movie, Secretariat. I think everyone needs to embody the heart of a racehorse like this one. I don't usually recommend movies, but this one was so inspiring. Although I am not a fan of racehorsing, I remember getting caught up in these races in 1973. My son had just been born, I'd had two major abdominal surgeries within six weeks of each other and was recuperating and caring for a newborn when Secretariat won the triple crown. The horse was born to run - it's what he loved to do. And the owner, Penny, believed in him and in herself enough to fly in the face of everyone and do whatever it took to keep the horse. The message for us writers is the same. Keep doing what we believe in and write what we need to write if that is what we feel we were born to do.The outcome doesn't matter, although of course, with Secretariat, he was the greatest racehorse that ever lived. It's all about his heart and our hearts and listening to what's inside.

Wishing y'all  a great week and I'll be here again on Monday, 10/18.
Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Safe travels, Karen!
And glad to hear you saw and enjoyed the movie. I feel bad - everyone read my review and stated they would wait for NetFlix, but it's a really good film!

Vicki Rocho said...

I think this is probably one of those sleeper films. One I'd never willingly choose to see out of a lineup thinking I know what the story is -- I mean we all KNOW the ending, what's the point? But it turns out these type of movies are usually ones I end up loving.

Have a safe trip!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Ultimately it's not the ending, it's the journey getting to that ending.
May your week go well, Karen.

Jemi Fraser said...

Safe travels and I hope all is well.

Jules said...

My prayers for the trip and your family member.

The movie was filmed here in my hometown and your analogy is spot on. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Joanne said...

It's interesting how when we really listen to our hearts, good things happen :)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Hi, Karen! I hopped over from Jemi's blog. I hope your week is a good one, and I look forward to "meeting" you when you get back. :-)

Grammy said...

Hi Karen, I hope your journey is one that results in good for the family member and for you. Illness is so difficult to deal with, especially when one feels helpless to do a lot. God bless you all, Ruby

Bianca @ Talking Writing said...

I've heard great reviews too and can't wait to see it. I do love horses (and also Diane Lane) :)

Ann Best said...

You're the second blogger who has recommended Secretariat. I looked it up, and put it on my Netflix list. Not out yet. Hope it will be soon.

And hope your week with your family member was positive.
Ann