Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, November 19, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

I got some pretty devastating news on Wednesday. The family member I've been so worried about does, indeed, have a progressive, degenerative disease. I feel as if I've been hit by a mack truck--I was so sure it wasn't so. I shift from waves of intense pain to numb, to anger, to fear, to wanting to jump into action mode and do something, to abject despair and loss of faith. I can't say much more because I'm trying to protect their privacy.

I want to wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving holiday. Hubs has the week off and we are going to be spending some very needed time together, and we'll probably be going to be with our family member, so there won't be any new blog posts next week. I am trying to  remember to be grateful for so many things, despite chaos and suffering all around me.  Hope you find many things to be grateful for as well. I'll be back on Monday after Thanksgiving.

Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

Glynis said...

Hugs for you on your Thanksgiving. So sorry to hear your news.

Joanne said...

So sorry to hear about this diagnosis, Karen. I hope you get to visit with your friend this holiday week. Sending wishes for peace and happiness this Thanksgiving too.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm sorry, Karen! If you're grasping for gratitude, be thankful for the time you've had with this family memeber. What if you'd never had the opportunity?

Mary Vaughn said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. e thankful for the time you have/ad with everyone you love.
God Bless!

KarenG said...

Oh that is so sad. I am so very sorry.

Mason Canyon said...

So sorry to hear about your family member. It's hard to be upbeat but try and enjoy the time you have with them. Hope you have a restful and enjoyable Thanksgiving.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Ann Best said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. But Thanksgiving reminds us that we do need to always count our blessings, and be grateful for those who have been in our lives. It's not easy, of course, to see someone you love suffer. We just try to help the best we can. God bless you and yours!
Ann

Anonymous said...

I lurked. What they said. Happy Thanksgiving.
-Simona

Sharon Lippincott said...

Thanksgiving this year for you -- sweet and sour. I'm so sorry! Never easy to hear. Blessings on all.

Karen Walker said...

Thank you all so much for these loving words. I will carry them with me.
Karen

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Karen, I am so sorry! Take time off with your husband and family.

Bob Sanchez said...

Karen,
Take some time to rest with your husband and enjoy his company.

Bob

Karen Walker said...

We're leaving on Monday to be with our family member and try to figure out how to deal with this health crisis.
Blessings,
karen

Patricia Stoltey said...

This is so sad, Karen. I'll be thinking of you.