Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, November 1, 2010

Monday Musings

Hope everyone had a happy Halloween. I don't know why, but the holidays aren't holding much meaning for me this year. I'm not depressed or anything. Just somewhat disconnected. We had a singing gig on Saturday at a retirement community where we were the entertainment during their Halloween party. Some pre-schoolers were there to trick or treat with the residents and everyone was dressed in costumes - except us. We weren't told it was to be a party. Luckily, we all dress in black, so we fit in. At one point during one of our solos, a little one stood up next to the singer and started dancing. At another point, one of the residents started singing a song. Our concert was interrupted for costume-judging contests. We figured, if we could get through that gig keeping our cool, we can get thru anything. And each time something like that occurs, we get more comfortable performing.

I am looking forward to this week, as I don't have too many outside appointments and am hoping to get some writing done. I am sorry I haven't been visiting your blogs too often - I'm hoping to rectify that this week.

Thanks for all the thoughts and good wishes for my friend, G. And the reminders for me to take care of me. I am doing that in ways I never could have before.

Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Halloween's not a big holiday for me, either. Christmas is my favorite.

Vicki Rocho said...

How cute to have a little one dancing with you. And to have an adult start singing along is the ultimate compliment! Sounds like a fun time

Mason Canyon said...

Sometimes the holiday just get so crazy we lose the good feelings for them. Oh how I wish for simple holidays again. Each year it just gets busier. Good luck with your writing this week and glad G is still on the mend.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Joanne said...

Sounds like a good gig going on, with lots of twists thrown into the mix. Happy writing to you this week, I hope the words take over for awhile and put you in that great writing zone.

Jules said...

Sounds like an interesting concert. :) But you know they have to keep things moving for those folks or you'd be singing lullaby's. :)

I'm sending you the wisdom of the thesaurus; may its force be with you :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

KK Brees said...

I've had that disconnected experience from time to time. It's disconcerting, especially if you love certain times of the year. I'm gearing up for the holidays this year. The older I get, the more I realize time and celebrations are precious.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I bet that gig was fun, though!

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

You’re singing gig sounds like something you’ll be able to laugh about…at least after a little time passes.

I think the holiday season is harder to get into these past few years because it's being stretched to last almost the entire year it seems. Some stores in my area put out Christmas things before Halloween! I think this detracts from the specialness.

Ann Best said...

Every experience in life is a learning experience, whether good or bad. But this gig does sound kind of fun.

Over the weekend a glitch in my blog forced me to delete it and create a new one, with almost the same title. So I'm re-signing in as a follower. Fortunately, I exported and then imported everything on the blog, but you don't get your followers back! But I did copy out the list of Blogs I'm Following. Now I just have to let everyone know what happened so they’ll be able to find me!

I hope when you have a minute you’ll click on my signature link here, and come over and follow me again. I don’t want to lose you!
Ann

Glynis said...

Glad you are getting some writing done. Thinking of you and your friend, take care.