Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Telling the truth Tuesday - Fear versus Faith

I am in a battle that I haven't fought for a long, long time - fear versus faith. I'd reached a point in my life where fear did not show itself very often and my faith remained strong. Despite facing difficult choices and having some bad things occur, I never doubted that there was a Higher Power at work in my life. And I trusted that I would be taken care of.

But fear is making me question my beliefs. In those spaces in between the fear, I know my beliefs to be true, but in the dark of the middle of the night, the monsters of doubt take over and I feel lost.

I am continuing to pray and ask for guidance and help, despite my doubts, despite the fears. It is all I know to do.

Blessings,
Karen

15 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

Funny you talk about fear today. It must be in the air. I wrote about fear too, but in a different context. Mind you, I do believe life would be quite dull without it. Then we wouldn't have any need to challenge ourselves, or push ourselve to do things we're afraid of. Then there would be no need for courage, because it would be second nature. Nor would we question ourselves before taking risks. Without fear, there would be no life.

KarenG said...

You must be up in the night Karen, because it's 4 a.m. here. I know, I'm up too. I don't do well with fear. It creates tremendous anxiety in me and spreads to everything like cancer. I try to confront it when it first creeps in by various means, like journal writing, prayer and/or service to others to name a few. Fear challenges faith, but faith overcomes fear.

Mason Canyon said...

Praying and asking for guidance will help you overcome the fear. Sometimes I think fear returns to us just to remind us we have to be strong and constant in our faith. Keeping you in my prayers too.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Sharon Lippincott said...

Blessings and hugs in this time of darkness!

Last night I listened to Jennifer McLean talk about fear and darkness and the need to experience it in order to fully cherish and understand brilliant light and love. She made it sound much like life in the polar regions. Those who experience the most intense light are also likely to experience the darkest nights of the soul. She encourages us to view these monstrous moments as gateways to the glorious. Can you turn the terror around and ponder what gift it may be wrapping?

Jules said...

Oh my karmic sister I hear you, I feel your fear and I too continue to pray. I do believe what Sharon L. comments to have some truth but it is the turning around that sometimes dizzily drops us to our knees. While we are there we pray.

Know you will see that light, that you have people hear listening, caring and praying for you.

Big Hugs
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Mary Vaughn said...

Sometimes without realizing it our faith becomes stagnant. Fear offers us a way to renew our faith and help it to grow. Give the fear back to your Higher Power when you pray. Your Higher Power will hold you in love while dispersing your fear.

You are in my prayers.

Karen Walker said...

You are such an amazing group of people. Thank you so much.
Karen

L. Diane Wolfe said...

He is real!
And we start to lose faith when we take our eyes off what we believe in.

Ian said...

Excellent post,bravo

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Karen, would it help to know He hasn't lost faith in you?

Ann Best said...

I like Alex's comment. It's true. HE never does lose faith in us. I've been through the fearful times you describe, Karen. Fear stifles faith, and it is a dark and lonely feeling. I consider it a blessing that I have my disabled daughter to serve. Prayer and service to others has helped me get out of the fear pit!!
Ann

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Hugs to you, Karen! I'm so sorry you're experiencing such a difficult time. Thinking about and praying for you.

Tabitha Bird said...

I am constantly waging that battle. And like you, in the spaces between I know my faith is strong. I thin God's okay with me working it all out at my pace. He has plenty of patience with my times of doubt.

May you find what you are missing :)

Enid Wilson said...

I meet and see people with all kinds of fear every day. I think fear is one of the most powerful emotion that can make or break a person.

Fire and Cross

Sylvia Dickey Smith said...

Karen, I always thought wilderness was where God wasn't, but after wandering in one for several years, I learned wilderness is a very sacred place. I hold for you while you wander in yours, knowing the strength you will gain during the wandering--and will come out stronger--different, but stronger different.Sylvia Dickey Smith