Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Telling the truth Tuesday - hard times on the planet

Is it only here in Albuquerque, or are most people facing hard times right now? I don't just mean the economic crisis our country is in. I mean personally. Almost everyone I know is facing challenges right now. My friend G had his serious bike accident and he and his wife are still dealing with the repercussions and will be for a long time. Another friend's daughter is getting a divorce and there are custody issues. Yet another friend's daughter is struggling with substance abuse and relationship problems. J lost her job two years ago and has been unable to find another at her level. She's afraid if she takes a lesser position, it will hurt her career in the long run.

Are the stars out of alignment? Is Mercury in retrograde? Is there some dark force at work here? Until this past week, I've maintained my point of center despite all this stuff swirling around me. Was I feeling guilty because my biggest problem (aside from my family member with the potential health crisis) is that I'm not writing very much? I tend to absorb the energy of those around me. I can take on someone's mood in a nanosecond. If I detach myself emotionally, I feel disconnected, though. I'm trying to learn how to stay connected, but not take on the moods of others. Big challenge.

How are things in  your neck of the woods?
Blessings,
Karen

15 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I think it's all over. It's not that the economy is bad - everyone's just in the dumps.

Jody Hedlund said...

Hi Karen,
I've been really busy with my rewrites on Book 2 and then all of the work that has come with debuting a book. Not to mention the normal mothering duties! It's made for a very stressful and busy fall, much more so than I ever imagined. But thankfully, I finished my rewrites at the end of last week and am taking a few days off of writing work to relax and catch up on things I've neglected over the past couple of months! Take care of yourself! :-)

Gail said...

I think it is a wide spread problem. I have been lazy with dark thoughts and that is not me. I look forward to a change...soon.

Sharon Lippincott said...

I've noticed the same thing among my friend-base, and not just in the 'Burgh. Some say it has to do with the approaching 12/21/12 date when the whole Milky Way will be in perfect alignment. Among artifacts that are actually being measured are shifts (minor but real) in Earth's magnetic field -- it's decreasing. Our brains use powerful electrical signals, subject to magnetic force. Who knows?

Jules said...

Sign of the times my friend... there is a darkness among us.
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Glynis said...

I am sorry to hear your friends are having a bad time. Stay strong.

Patricia Stoltey said...

It's an opportunity to reach out and offer comfort, Karen. Instead of absorbing trouble, take your smile and your song and spread joy.

Karen Walker said...

Diane, even Spunky?
Jody, that's a full load you've got there. Enjoy your time in between. And thanks for stopping by.
Gail, yes, change, real soon, I hope.
Sharon, I love when I can blame these kinds of things on the planets and the stars.
Jules, yes, there is darkness among us. But there is also light.
Glynis, I'm working on it on it
Patricia, you are absolutely right. That's what I'm doing.

Ann Best said...

I agree with Jules. Sign of the times (see the Bible). We just have to try to be kind to each other, help others when we can, and do the best that we can, IMHO.
Ann

Mason Canyon said...

It does seem to be more problems all around us. But I agree with Patricia. With your smile, your wonderful singing and a positive attitude you can brighten the spirits of those around you.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Hi Karen,
I just saw from your comment at Jody's that you're in ABQ, too!

Tara said...

I look at it this way:
It's a sign of bigger and happier things to come.

KarenG said...

Oh I hear ya, it seems like misery is everywhere, and since misery loves company, people like to top each other in telling their tales of woe. Sometimes it's just so sad, when I hear what some people are suffering.

Karen Walker said...

Ann, you are so right.
Hi Caroline. How nice that we're in the same city. Nice to "meet" you.
Tara, I sure hope that's what it means.
Karen, yes, it is very very sad.
Karen

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, Karen! I think that it's really hard to be empathetic but to not pick up on others' moods. Hope your Thanksgiving was a restful one, especially considering all that you've got going on. Blessings...