Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Telling the truth Tuesday - inner peace

Seems as if I'm always learning lessons about living life in a way that keeps me centered inside. It has been such an intense journey at times, beginning with losing custody of my son when he was 4 years old. At that time, I wasn't even conscious inside my own body. I didn't know what I was feeling or why, let alone know how to deal with feelings in a healthy manner. I ate to cover emotional pain. Didn't exercise. Was in one bad relationship after another. Yadadada.

Now I consider myself healthy - physically, emotionally, psychologically and spiritually. A piece that just came to me is focusing on my body and how it feels in given situations. I think our bodies absorb a lot of our feelings, whether they are painful ones like grief or loss, or happy ones like celebrations of births, weddings, or book launches. Since I wasn't conscious inside my body for so many years, it's taken me longer to recognize the symptoms my body is giving me. So if I get an anxious feeling in my sternum area, it is a signal for me to pay attention - something is upsetting me. If my stomach gets upset, I check what I ate. If that's not it, I look further for a disturbing conversation or something like that.

How about you? Does your body talk to you?
Blessings,
Karen

8 comments:

Vicki Rocho said...

When it's going to be "one of those days" I get awful stomach cramps...doesn't happen often anymore, luckily

Mason Canyon said...

I think our bodies do react to what we're feeling and our surroundings. Sometimes we don't take time to listen so it kicks it up a notch to get our attention.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Jules said...

Well if what mine is telling me is correct, then..
I'm on recall :D
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Mine's telling me I'm not 20-something anymore...

Ann said...

My body doesn't talk to me anymore due to the fact I have spent most of my life ignoring it. Or at least I don't think it does...maybe I am still not listening.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I think that my body is talking to me but I'm not paying enough attention!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Considering most illnesses are brought on by internal stress and conflict, I'd have to say our bodies reveal a lot of what goes on inside.
Tonight mine told me I needed pizza.
And I answered your question about Star Trek on my blog, Karen.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Absolutely! Mine is telling me that it's time to get some exercise. It has promised to stop hurting if I move around more. I think it's time to listen. :)