Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, January 3, 2011

Monday Musings - I'm back!!

Happy New Year everyone. Hope you all had wonderful holiday time with family and friends.

I spent Christmas on a cruise ship in the Caribbean with hubs and two dear friends from Portland, OR. We flew to San Juan Puerto Rico, spent two days, then got on the ship for 8 nights. Each day we woke up in a different port: St. Thomas, St. Marteen, St. Lucie, Antigua, Grenada and Barbados. I didn't think I'd like cruising much, but given the stress of the last few months of my life, it was just what the doctor ordered. After sightseeing all day, it was lovely to come back to the ship and have a great meal, then choose between a show, a movie, listening to one of 5 music choices (piano bar singer, classical guitarist, Latin trio, standards trio, and a fab dance band. I danced like I haven't danced in years (rock 'n roll). Came home refreshed and renewed.

I'm not sure what's in store re blogging this year. For now I will keep to my Monday, Tuesday, and Friday posting schedule. I don't have permission to talk about the thing closest to my heart, but I'm hoping I still have words inside that need to come out in this very public venue. And I hope those words have meaning for those of you reading this.

Please tell me what your holidays were like. I've missed hearing about your lives.
P.S. I'm typing this on a new Apple computer and have been unable to upload photos to the blog. As soon as I figure it out, I'll post some from the trip.

Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

Welcome back! That sounds like an wonderful trip. My own Christmas was much quieter, but still nice. Spent it with my husband's family. And my dog. Can't forget the dog!
Glad you are back :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hey Karen! Glad the cruise did you some good. Keep fighting with the computer - would like to see some photos.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Welcome back! I'm so glad the cruise was so refreshing and gave you a fresh start for 2011!

Jules said...

Yippee, Shes Back! Glad you received what the doctor ordered, it was deserved. Hang in there with that Apple :D
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Hi Karen! Welcome back. Aren't cruises great? I thought I'd be bored, but I can't wait to take another one.

Karen Walker said...

Hello Tabitha,
so nice to hear from you - have felt so disconnected - from everyone
Alex, fighting is so the right word in terms of learning the computer
HI Elizabeth - long time no speak to - hope you and your family are well
Hey there Jules - hope all is well in your world.
Diane, I can't imagine being bored on the ship - there's always something going on. I had a really good time.
Karen

Mason Canyon said...

Glad you're back. Sounds like the cruise was a wonderful change you needed. Hope the new year brings much happiness, good health and success to you.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like a wonderful time on the cruise! We've had a busy, busy holiday season with all kinds of family and friends - lots of fun!

Hope 2011 brings you all of the best!

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

A cruise sounds like a wonderful way to spend the holidays, Karen. I’m glad you enjoyed it. I spent Christmas with family, which includes my 4-year-old grandson and it was absolutely great.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Hi Karen, I'm glad you're back. I envy you your cruise. The best I've persuaded my hubby to do so far is the Intracoastal cruise in Florida. Not exactly the same...

Our Christmas was lovely and quiet with no travel and no company. I loved it. Read 4 novels in 6 days!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're back. I missed your blogs.
-Simona