Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, January 17, 2011

Monday Musings

Planning a surprise birthday celebration for hubs. Had to tell him to take a certain day off, but he wasn't allowed to ask any questions. I will have to tell him golf will be involved, because I don't know where he keeps his golf clubs and they have to come along. Since he only plays once or twice a year, they live somewhere in the garage that isn't very handy.

I've applied to begin receiving social security benefits. I will turn 62 in April. Truly,I cannot believe I am old enough to collect social security. Inside, I feel hmmmm, 17? 24? 35? Certainly not a day over 40. To me, this truly means I am retired. In a way, it is quite freeing, because retired people don't work unless they want to. So whatever writing I get done, that's okay. And if it doesn't happen,which is the way it's been for awhile now, that's okay, too, because, after all, I'm retired. I don't have to be productive in the way I've always felt I had to be. Each day I am trying to be the best Karen I can be in any given moment, to take good care of myself, to be of service wherever possible, and try to figure out what it is I'm meant to do. If that's still writing, it will come. I have to trust that.

What are you musing about today?
BLessings,
Karen

14 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

Yu don't seem old to me :)
And as for what I am musing about today... well. I kind of wrote a post on that just now. Let's just say, life and fishing :)

Mary Vaughn said...

Welcome to the land of SS! I joined last month. So far there's not much difference in the activity level. Writing is very s-l-o-w.
Happy Retirement!

Vicki Rocho said...

I'm musing about my MS and the slow plodding progress I've been making lately. Still, 500 words I added last night are 500 words that didn't exist before. Yet at this rate it will take me many weeks and many months to finish. That's disheartening...

Oh, and I'm musing about the snow in my driveway waiting to be shoveled. Ugh.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

You're definitely not old! Old is MUCH older than 62. I'm musing that I need to get cracking on my story this morning and shut off my internet. :)

AlexOngNYC said...

62 is the new 35!

Alex
Breakfast Every Hour

Jules said...

And you get great discounts now! Good luck with the birthday ploy.

My musings... how to keep my mind off bad thoughts and what to do next.

Big Hug my friend
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Joanne said...

We like to make little motivational rhymes here to go along with our birthdays, so here's one customized just for Karen: Sixty-two, and it's time for you :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hope the surprise party goes well!
And I never left my teens.

Karen Walker said...

Tab, after what you've been through, I would imagine there's a lot to muse about.
Mary, thanks, I'm still getting used to the idea.
Vicki, If I added 500 words I'd be jumping up and down for joy
Elizabeth, yes our definition of what is old has certainly changed - good luck with your story
Alex, love that!
Jules, I'm with you on keeping off the bad thoughts - it's a challenge
Joanne, love that birthday rhyme - my new mantra
Alex, not sure any of us have left our teens, but I imagine you are quite a bit younger than me from your blog posts.
Karen

Celery Tree said...

Karen, there's an award for you on our blog!

Stephen Tremp said...

Good luck with the surprise. And I'm the same age as Jack Bennie and will be for the rest of my life!

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I like your attitude! Hope you all have a wonderful time at the surprise party.

Jemi Fraser said...

Love the surprise day you've planned for your hubby - you're a sweetie!! Have fun :)

Karen Walker said...

Congratulations to the team who created the Celery Tree website. You guys rock!
Stephen, 39 is a great age to be.
Jane, thanks, I hope I can pull this off.
Jemi, hubby so deserves this - I hope it works.
Karen