Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, January 31, 2011

Monday Musings

Back in School again - taking sessions at the Apple Store. I love my new Mac Pro, but simple things like copying and pasting are different on the Apple - like it's Command C and Command V as opposed to Control C and Control V on the PC. And forget about being able to do Garage Band or IMovie without training. For Sugartime, I need to be able to manipulate karaoke tracks by changing pitch or slowing it down or speeding it up. Garage Band can do it, but's tricky. My brain might be slower than it used to be, but it still works if I work it and challenging myself to learn new things will keep it working longer.

How do you know when to go to the doctor and when to let things take their natural course? My left knee has been hurting me now for over a month. I've had arthroscopy on that knee and was told I'd eventually need knee replacement surgery. Well, I don't want any more surgery, thank you very much. I've had tonsilectomy, caeasarian, RK surgery, gall bladder, hysterectomy, ankle, and shoulder surgery. That's enough, don't you think? But what about my poor knee? Should I just take pain meds forever. Sigh!

I have this same problem with colds versus allergy? How do you tell the difference? When do you self-medicate and when do you need drugs? I'm just saying...

Anyone else ready for Spring? Not sure it was a good idea going to the Caribbean at the start of winter, because I so want to be in warm weather again. And Albuquerque is pretty mild compared to what's happening in the Northeast.

What are you musing about today?
Blessings,
karen

11 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

I love my apple Mac. Let me know if you ever need a hand :)

Also, hope you feel better soon. Hugs.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Unless blood is involved, I tend to let nature take its course.

Jules said...

I can't swallow pills so meds are out for me. Have you thought of PT for the knee or is that even possible? I'd like to know more about Garage Band. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I'm SO ready for spring!

Hope you feel better soon, Karen!

Joanne said...

I'm musing about the 4-8 inches of snow due tomorrow, on top of our over 2-feet on the ground. But that's not the storm. The Nor'easter is coming Wednesday with snow, sleet, freezing rain and ice. We're getting clobbered with winter this year :)

My daughter has a Mac, which I often use. I love it, and will definitely replace my Dell with one when it's time to do so. They're amazing.

Vicki Rocho said...

I'm all for going to the doctor to see what's going on...then making a decision from there. Maybe there are exercises or a brace or something you could use to put off surgery a bit longer? You'll never know if you don't ask.

And yes, I am TOTALLY ready for spring, though this winter has been fairly mild as Iowa winters go...

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Tab. Seem to be getting all the questions about the Mac answered at my one on ones at Apple. So cool.
Alex, that's so typically male - sorry!
Jules, I've had PT after surgery. Garage Band is an application on the Mac that lets you play around with music, your own as well as karaoke tracks. You can change pitch, speed, add sounds, etc. It's awesome, but challenging to learn.
Elizabeth, thanks. I'm working on it.
Joanne, yes, the Northeast has gotten hammered this winter. I received some photos of the storm last week. Can't believe another one is on the way. Stay warm!
Vicki, I've got an appointment in two weeks to check everything out. I'm with you on this one.
Karen

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm musing about why it's taken me all day to prepare labels and letters!!

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I think if your cold hangs around for more than a week or two without getting better, it's probably not a cold.

I live in SW Florida, so other than a few cooler than normal days, I can’t really complain about the weather.

Mason Canyon said...

I'm with you on wanting spring to come NOW. I think we'd all feel better if spring was here. Hope your feeling better soon.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Rayna M. Iyer said...

Among other things, I so read you on the cold v/s allergy bit.

And do you want me to send across some of the heat we are starting to get in India?