Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, January 28, 2011

New search engine for writers

Elizabeth Spann Craig, mystery writer extraordinaire and superb resource for writers, along with computer whiz Mike Fleming, has created a new search engine designed specifically for writers. It is here: http://hiveword.com/wkb/search. Elizabeth's blog always has great information for writers, but here, she has taken it even further. No wonder her blog was awarded one of the top 100 blogs for writers.

This week I finally added new words to my WIP. Yippee!! No daily word goals for this gal, I'm happy if it's just a paragraph here and there these days. I've also gone back to the nonfiction piece I began last year.
I realized that retired folks do community service work, work on their hobbies, and socialize. Well, Sugartime is my community service work, writing is my hobby, and the rest of my life is the socialization part. So I guess I'm right on track, exactly where I'm supposed to be.

It's the not feeling productive piece I still haven't gotten a handle on. Not having every second of every minute of every day filled with things to do. I'm learning to just "be" and it feels so very weird. Nice, but weird. And it's always such a nice bonus when I receive a gift of wisdom from something I'm drawn to watch or read.

So, do check out Elizabeth's new search engine. And keep on keepin' on. I'm singing today at a retirement community so I'l check in with y'all a bit later, okay?

Blessings
Karen

9 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

all the best with the singing. Yes, it is nice to just be. I am glad you are back to your writing :)

Jules said...

Break a leg! I'm very pleased I saw a smile in this post. Congrats on the new words and the weirdness of just being. I love weird being, sort of my norm :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Stephen Tremp said...

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. Have fun with your singing gig today.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I promoted her new site today as well!

Joanne said...

I'm glad you're writing again. I do believe that when we hit a lull, we're processing something, in some way, before we go on.

And with your gig today, rock on :)

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Hope your retirement center performance went well! Thanks so much for mentioning the search engine...it's so exciting to me and I really appreciate your being supportive. :)

Mason Canyon said...

It does sound like you're on track where you should be and it's going well. That's what counts. At the end of the day when you've enjoyed yourself, not stressed because you didn't do everything. Hope your singing event went well.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Jemi Fraser said...

Elizabeth's done a fabulous job with this site!!!

Hope you had a blast singing today - enjoy the weekend Karen! :)

Rayna M. Iyer said...

I have been superbusy the last couple of weeks and am still playing ketchup!
Will definitely check out Elizabeth's search engine. And well done on the WiP.