Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Telling the Truth Tuesday - Talking Writing

I want to share a website with you if you don't already know about it: http://talkingwriting.com/
It is an online literary magazine with articles and essays that will inform and inspire you. I believe they are looking for writers to contribute, so I hope you will explore it. Yours truly will have a piece in the February issue. I'll post a link here when it appears.

And while we're on the subject of writing, I just finished Sue Monk Kidd's memoir (she co-wrote it with her daughter, Ann Kidd Taylor) "Traveling with Pomegranates." I loved it so much, I ordered all her other books from Amazon (except "The Secret Life of Bees," which I'd already read). This memoir is partially about her journey from being a nonfiction writer to a novelist. In it she writes, "the images of bees in the wall that wanted to become a story..." and her declaration during a trip to Greece at a sacred site that she wanted to be a novelist. Kidd had the courage to follow her heart and listen to her whispers during this long journey to complete the novel.

She had no outline. No plot idea. Just an image of bees in a wall. I am grappling with a similar situation. Just an image and a voice that came to me in Ireland asking me to tell its story. I got about 10 pages written and now it's stalled. Mostly because I allowed my life to stall due to circumstances and emotional pain.

I am declaring right here, right now, I want to write this novel.

How about you?
What is your truth today?
Blessings,
Karen

13 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

Good luck with your new idea! My truth? Um .. I'm suddenly obessed with baking cookies and I'm afraid I'm going to get fat. :o)

Jessica Bell said...

*obsessed :o)

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Congrats on the article coming up in February! And best wishes for writing your idea. I remember how excited you were with the premise and characters...I think they'll speak to you again.

Jules said...

Thanks for link, I'll check it out. The truth is my voices speak so loud and so fast I have trouble understanding everything but I take notes :D
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

AlexOngNYC said...

My truth today: Officially admitting I'm sick because I can treat my health and well-being as a footnote at times rather than a priority.

And it's also good to hear someone had an idea and no outline and made something out of it. I'm so bad with outlining.

Alex
Breakfast Every Hour

L. Diane Wolfe said...

If it's strong, just start writing!

Ann said...

Thank you for the link. I will check it out. I hope you continue to write your story. May all the stalls drift away on the mist.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's great, Karen - looking forward to reading the article.
And you can do it!

Karen Walker said...

Jessica, LOL, my hubby bakes and then has to hide the goodies from me.
Elizabeth, thanks, it felt good to write something like that again.
Jules, LOL, that sounds daunting.
Oh Alex, hope you feel better soon. And yes, me, too - no outlines, that is.
Diane, yup, that's what I'm doing.
Ann, thank you, love that image.
Alex, thanks for the support.
Karen

Mary Vaughn said...

Congratulations on the article and thanks for the link.
Just keep writing and it will all start to flow again.

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

Let me add my congrats on your article. And thanks for the book suggestions. I haven't read Kidd's books. I'll keep and eye open for them from now on.

Arlee Bird said...

Congratulations on the upcoming article. Sometimes you might need a breather, but don't let it hold you back. You might have to just force yourself to do it.

Lee
Tossing It Out and the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2011

Patricia Stoltey said...

This is a really nice post, Karen. Thanks for the link, and for the memoir recommendation. I didn't know about that. And congrats on placing an article...blogging can lead to all kinds of interesting nonfiction opportunities.