Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Telling the truth Tuesday - under the weather

I've been sort of down for the count since last Friday. My legs feel like they weigh two tons and I have absolutely no energy. I'm headachy and go from chills to hot flashes in a nanosecond. But I am not sneezing or coughing or stuffed up. I've never had the flu, so not sure if this is it or not. I've always felt that when I get sick, it's my body's way of telling me to slow down and stop for awhile. But since I haven't been moving at light speed anyway, not sure about that any more. I think I just caught some sort of bug.

Have you ever been in a space where you question everything you ever believed in? It's not necessarily a bad thing, contrary to what I thought when I first realized that is what is happening with me. Questioning is a good thing because then we can assess whether we've simply absorbed what our parents, teachers and peers believed and it's really not what we believe or not.

Right now the only thing I'm sure I believe is that I am responsible for my own inner well being. What about you?
Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

Vicki Rocho said...

I'm kinda funny in that I cruise along not questioning anyone or anything and then BAM! Something happens and I take another look at it all and realize that I don't happen to agree with the way things were/are.

Glynis said...

I am like Vicki, I tend to plod along and then start questioning. When that happens I often make changes in my life.

Hope you feel better asap.

Morgan Mandel said...

I thought it was supposed to be the other way around, but I've found the older I get, the more I have questions.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

AlexOngNYC said...

There will always be infinite questions for as many infinite answers.

Alex
Breakfast Every Hour

Joanne said...

Good thoughts. I like where I am with my beliefs right now, which seems to be that I don't question them, but own them in a way, as they work to define who I am, without question.

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I hope you feel better soon. I think it’s human nature to question ourselves – that’s how we grow.

Jen Chandler said...

I've been questioning a lot lately. I thought it was just because I started a sociology class ;) But seriously, I think questioning is a good thing. It helps you solidify what you believe and sort out what you've only held onto because of others. It's wise to stop from time to time and reflect on life. Cleansing, too.

Hugs,
Jen

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Questioning can lead to greater belief and faith.

Karen Walker said...

I'm curious about the kinds of things y'all question in your lives?
Karen

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry you've felt crappy. Right now I'm questioning if I can write another story half as good as my first book.

Jules said...

First, I hope you are not coming down with something. Second, I question how to reinvent myself at 50+ and if it is really worth it.

Hang in there, I'm here if you need someone :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Anonymous said...

You're sick. Rest and drink lots of tea and have some chicken soup. Question all you like, but in a few days you'll feel different. Blessings.

-Simona

Arlee Bird said...

Hope you are feeling better soon. Your illness has apparently gotten you in a contempative mood.
I tend to question nearly everthing and doubt much.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Helen Ginger said...

I'm sort of questioning what I'm doing in my life right now. What do I want to do? Where do I want to go and what do I want to be?

Sorry you're sick. It does sound like the flu.