Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, February 18, 2011

Beating the Blahs

I want to thank everyone who commented on my Telling the truth Tuesday blog - am I depressed? The responses were loving, thoughtful, kind and very wise. I have come to the conclusion this is not depression. It's just a period of low energy. Perhaps I am re-charging after some difficult life changes which occurred at the end of the year. Rather than worry about why, I am focusing on what I need to do in each and every moment. The advice I received to get physical is helping. I'm making sure I walk or dance every day. I am eating healthily. I am singing, which, even if I don't feel like it before, once we begin practicing, my soul soars.

Part of the reason for the blahs is my writing. For 10 years, my memoir occupied every waking (and some sleeping) moments. I was energized by it. Then came publishing. I was energized by that.  I'm not feeling that way about my current projects, however. They are very different. I knew the story for my memoir. I'd lived it. Creating something from absolutely nothing - honestly, I don't know how you fiction writers do it when there is no plot, no story line to follow. Each day, I need to go deep inside myself and connect with the characters and see what they have to tell me. Sometimes a few paragraphs happen. Sometimes nothing. I am learning to be content with this.

This life transition from super productive to just being is challenging. I find myself looking for things to take charge of, then I have to remind myself not to do that. There are enough people and things that will need my attention without my looking for them.

Anyhoo, I am, for the moment, beating the blahs. How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

8 comments:

Glynis said...

I have just read your other post. You have the blues, and I am sorry. As you know, I can empathise with you. xx

Why not use your music, write about a singer trapped inside a life of nothing. Use your emotions. It will help your flow and make you feel better, I am sure.
You are a good writer, I have read your book. You may not be in the right niche for your brain at the moment, use your music. It appears to be uplifting you. Take care. Virtual hugs from Cyprus.♥x♥

Tabitha Bird said...

I understand what you mean. I am writing my first book of fiction after a memoir too. I must admit that I am loving it. The story is all mine ot play with. I don;t have to be true to anything or anyone outside of my imagination. There's no history check to worry about. No story line that can't be changed. You know? It's just me and my characters. And the other thing I discovered is that my characters are in part all me. They are me and they are not me. But the life that I have lived and the emotions the friendships to loss and love, the good bad and ugly, it's all mine to tap into and put into my characters. Oh how my heart loves to plumb my life for the benefit of my made up story. The thing is Karen, anything could happen. In the world of fiction, anything could happen. THAT is the best part. :) You get to say all the things you might have been afraid of saying when the story was true. You get to live through those characters.
It'll come. 10yrs is a long time to be caught up in the world of one book. Maybe it will simply take time to enjoy this new world.

I think that is the biggest reason why I let my memoir go. I needed to write the next book. I needed to BE a writer. Not simply the writer of my memoir. Know what I mean?

Enjoy friend, the world is yours to create :))

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Understand the challenge of moving on. I'd only planned the one book. No intentions of writing a sequel! Glad NaNo took place right after the book's release, because it gave me a new creative focus.

Jules said...

Unlike the other above I have no words of wisdom. Just wanted you know I understand, I care and I'm sending you a big virtual smile and hug :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Joanne said...

As someone who's written a memoir manuscript as well as a novel manuscript, I second what Tabitha says here. Especially the part about the plumbing our hearts for the benefit of the made up story. Even with fiction, it's still our heart and soul going into those words, somehow. There's almost an element of memoir in there, sometimes on a level no one but the writer can see.

Karen Walker said...

It's not a good sign when a writer doesn't have words, but I don't have words to express the gratitude I feel for the comments above. Thank you all so much for these words of wisdom. They have helped immeasurably.
Blessings,
Karen

AlexOngNYC said...

Finding things or people that will make me laugh or just have a drink with me helps me beat the blahs.

Alex
Breakfast Every Hour

Arlee Bird said...

It's good that you are recognizing these things about yourself and your situation. Sometimes we have just got push ourselves until we get into a natural flow.

Right now I'm okay as I stay busy with blogging and other odds and ends, but I fear a financial crisis could loom on the horizon if a decent job doesn't come my way. The Lord always seems to provide for me, but still doubt can sometimes be a cruel taunter.

Lee
Tossing It Out and the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2011