Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, February 4, 2011

Good days and Bad days

I think we all have our good days and our bad days. I've been thinking about this lately and trying to determine for me, what makes a good day or a bad day. Here's what I've discovered so far:

  • It's a potentially bad day when I get on the scale and have gained a wee bit despite eating the way I always eat and didn't gain before. If I can't let go about this, it becomes a bad day.
  • It's a good day when I do what I set out to do. I have 4 main things I want to accomplish each day: 1) exercise; 2) blog; 3) practice singing; and 4) write. If I do all these things, it's a good day. If I don't, guess what? If I can't let go about this, it becomes a bad day.
  • It's a bad day if I haven't slept well. This means at least six hours of semi-uninterrupted sleep. This rarely happens, so I can potentially have many bad days - UNLESS - I can let go about it.
  • It's a bad day if I begin ruminating about things I have no control over - like other peoples' illnesses or emotional pain. If I can't let go about this, it becomes a bad day.
  • It's a bad day if I let my various and sundry aches and pains get me down. My knee hurts pretty continuously just now. My right thumb is acting funky and is painful. My lower back aches. Since I have to wait another two weeks to see my doctor, this could potentially be several bad days in a row, unless I can let go and focus on all the blessings instead.
Can you see the pattern here? Letting go is crucial for me in determining my mental health in any given moment. I get to choose whether it's a good day or a bad day. It doesn't just happen. So accepting that I can't control events or outcomes but I can determine how I respond to them is a fundamental lesson I am continuing to learn.

How about you? Do you have good and bad days? And if so, how do you handle them?
Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

Hmmm... good things to think about. Letting go, yes, that is something I need to do more of.

I hope you have lots of good days in the coming week.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

The pattern is that bad days get that way because we let them!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Let go and have a good day, Karen!

Jules said...

Ahh, the choice of life. Cup half full or half empty? Sort of depends on how thirsty you are. Lately I've discovered everything contains humor, I just have to look closer sometimes.

Wishing you a pain free week my friend. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I’m much easier on myself than you are, so though I do have an occasional bad day, I can usually find something that allows me to classify my day as good.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

It's hard to pull myself out of a bad day, but I know that I can do it, if I just focus. Thanks for the reminder and have a great weekend!

Jemi Fraser said...

I'm usually pretty good about letting things go - this is one of the benefits of working with kids - there's always a smile and a laugh around the corner! :)

Anonymous said...

If you don't get enough sleep, can you take a nap during the day? Blog, nap, exercise, nap, etc.

-Simona

Mary Vaughn said...

I have gotten very good at letting things go. I always try to make or remember a moment that was outstanding, funny or just plain loving.

Sandra said...

I agree! I loved this post. I think we chose our emotions. Oh, and I love that practicing your singing is part of a good day! I think I should add that to my good day schedule...it might frighten my family, but darn, I'd feel terrific after belting out a few Madonna tunes.
I really did love this post.

Karen Walker said...

Hi everyone. I was gone all day yesterday and just found all your comments. Thanks so much.
Tab, yes, the older I get the more I understand how crucial letting go is.
Diane, yes, it's all about our own attitude and responses, isn't it?
Alex, I did just that. Had a bast singing at a retirement community.
Jane, can I live in your skin for awhile?
Elizabeth, with young children it's so important to pull ourselves out of a funk.
Jemi, yes, being a teacher I'm sure teaches you many important life lessons.
Anonymous, naps don't really help me - I wake up cranky
Mary, that's wonderful. I'm still working on it...
Sandra, thank you so much. Yes, do go for it (singing, I mean). It's so good for the soul.
Karen

Elizabeth Langosy said...

Karen, I felt as though I was reading about my own life when I saw this post (except my LEFT thumb is wonky rather than my right). And, yes, letting go is the only way to get through it all. Thanks for this reminder.

kathleen said...

Hi Karen,
I think my days are about as good as my mind decides they are going to be. Attitude is everything, along with a good night's sleep.. Thanks for the reminder!

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeth, how nice to "see" you here. Oh, I'm so sorry you have a wonky finger, too.
Kathleen, attitude is everything. I am so working on mine.
Karen