Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, February 14, 2011

Monday musings: adrift

Hubby left this morning for a business trip to Charlotte, North Carolina. He won't return till late Thursday night. Aside from missing him, it makes it difficult with our dog, Buddy, because hubs is the one who gives Buddy insulin injections twice a day. If I did it, I'd pass out. I have to ask a neighbor to come in morning and night to do it, and I hate asking for favors.

I like the word adrift. It makes me think of a small boat just floating aimlessly along with the current. When the current shifts, the boat turns. Don't have to row it or motor it, it just moves with the current. That is what I am trying to do more of in my life: move with the energy current inside me in any given moment. Sometimes that energy yields some words on my novel. I am ecstatic when that happens. Sometimes that energy yields a nonfiction piece or a blog post idea. Sometimes the energy encourages me to get up and move, and I either dance for a half hour or walk outside behind our home. Sometimes it urges me to stay home, even if I have plans to meet a friend. If I don't pay attention to that urge, I sometimes get sick.

Paying attention to and trusting that energy is my life's work right now.
How about you?

Blessings,
Karen

P.S.
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY EVERYONE. IF YOU DON'T HAVE A LOVED ONE TO SHARE IT WITH, DO SOMETHING LOVING FOR YOURSELF. YOU DESERVE IT.

11 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

That is such a wonderful way to perceive that word! I never actually thought about it like that. I always thought of it like AWOL. Thanks for changing my mind. :o)

Tabitha Bird said...

Happy Valentines day to you too!

You have such a wonderful way of looking at the world. Hugs to you.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Happy Valentine's Day! Sorry your husband has to be so far away today.

Jules said...

I so agree with Jessica and Tabitha, wonderful out look there my friend. I like the dancing for a half hour part too :)

Happy Valentine's day!
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

The Old Silly said...

'Adrift' and going with the flow is good. As someone who was once 'up shit creek without a paddle' I'll take it! (wink)

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Happy Valentine's Day! Hope your husband has a safe trip! :)

Ann Best said...

I think this is a wonderful way to keep one's self moving! And I hope you use this energy while your husband's away so you won't miss him so much, maybe; at least you know he'll be back!

And thanks for your comment about Twitter. I think I'm going to delete my account also. The whole thing makes me frantic just thinking about it. My publisher said don't worry about it; I'm enjoying and having success with Blogger and Facebook. For me, this is enough!

Your friend Ann @ Long Journey Home

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Happy Valentine's Day. I hope you do something special for yourself since your husband is out of town. I’m a kind of go with the flow type person, so I like your visual comparison of the boat adrift.

Karen Walker said...

Jessica, thanks.
Tab, thanks for the feedback - I sometimes think I see the world weirdly
Alex, yeah, I miss him already and he's only been gone a few hours
Jules, yeah, I do the dancing thing if the weather doesn't permit me to go outside and walk. It's fun.
Old Silly, I think you've got your paddle now,though
Elizabeth, thanks, me too.
Ann, we are soul mates regarding Twitter.
Jane, my hubby is a go with the flow type person as well. I'm learning...
Karen

Joanne said...

I like the adrift thoughts, here. And if you ever find yourself wanting to steer the ship a little rather than drift, to change things up, just look at it as paddling your own canoe :)

Suzyhayes said...

Very, very cool post.