Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Telling the truth tuesday - cooking

I am not the greatest housewife on the planet. Far from it. I have lower back problems, so I hire someone to clean my house once every three weeks. I don't enjoy shopping for groceries and I don't enjoy cooking either. Wish I did. Wish I could make myself get into the joy of lovingly preparing food for my loved ones. But that gene is missing from my DNA. So I make simple things like meatloaf, pork loin roasts, pork chops slow cooked in the crockpot, things that will last several days so I only have to cook once a week.

I know hubs would prefer a fresh-cooked meal each night, something different, but after 15 years together, he totally accepts this wifely flaw. We kid around that when he retires in about seven years, we'll cook together. But since this is telling the truth Tuesday, I can tell you that probably won't happen. The gender roles will shift and he will do the cooking while I most decidedly will not be fixing things around the house. I will be reclining with my cup of tea, my blankie and a good book. Or I'll be engrossed with my laptop, writing, blogging, or playing spider solitaire.

Your turn now, fess up. Any of your roles or chores you despise?
Blessings,
Karen

15 comments:

Joanne said...

You and I can start the non-cooking club, Karen. I could have written your words, myself. I'm so not a cook, and always feel that the best meal is one cooked by someone else :)

Karen Walker said...

Thank goodness I'm not the only one, Joanne.
Karen

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I don't mind cooking and I help with the cleaning. Hate to mow the lawn though! Swear I'm going to install astro-turf...

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I'm stumped...trying to think of a chore that I *do* like! Ha!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Laundry! And dusting. I hate to dust. My husband says dusting is therapeutic. I say, therapeute away!

Jules said...

After last week end I'd have to say repairing a toilet :) But hey, you can hire me to come cook for you and hubs. :D
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Rayna M. Iyer said...

Can I join your club. I cook becuase we have to eat, but if I could get nutritious food without having to cook it, I would be more than happy to eat the same thing everyday!

Anonymous said...

I've cooked dinner almost every night for the past 17 years, and I still don't feel like a "real cook." I can cook, but it is most definitely a chore I do lovingly for my family because they are worth it.

Karen Walker said...

Wow, these comments are unexpected. I don't know why, but I thought I was pretty alone out there in the not enjoying cooking department. Thanks for sharing about those chores you don't like. Diane, therapeute away - lol.
Karen

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

My husband took over the cooking chores when he retired and I'm loving it!

The Old Silly said...

Honest and candid post, lol. Me, I love to cook. My problem is I'm a less-than-obsessive-compulsive-cleaner-neatnik like the wife, and a guy who forgets to put the seat down.

So what - that's me, eh? I like me. (wink)

Karen Walker said...

Jane, lucky you.
Hey there Old Silly - long time no talk to.
Karen

Jody Hedlund said...

Hi Karen,
Thanks for swinging by my blog! And thank you too, for ordering my book! I hope you'll enjoy it! :-)

Jen Chandler said...

I love to cook and I actually do like cleaning (because it means I'm home long enough to do something besides sleep!)

Chores I hate? Cleaning the litter box. I'm trying to train the cat to do it. He just gives me the evil eye when I suggest it.

Ann Best said...

Pretty much all household chores!! (LOL) I guess I hate kitchen cleanup the most. When I was married, I didn't mind it so much because first hubby was a great cook and I didn't like to cook so I did cleanup. But now I have to do everything!!!

Hope you're having a good day. Nice to see your face and comment on my lost purse post. Thanks for stopping by.
Ann Best, Author