Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Telling the Truth Tuesday - "You cheered us up."

You all probably know I sing in a trio, Sugartime. We perform at retirement communities. This past Friday, we sang at a facility we hadn't been to before. We're always nervous - are they going to like our repertoire, our voices, us? After we finish our program, we always go out to the audience and say hello to each and every person, thanking them for coming. One woman said, "Thank you, my dear. You cheered us up."

Bingo! That is why we do this. Why we spend hours choosing songs we think they will like and balancing that with songs we want to sing (not an easy task). Our mission is to bring the joy we feel singing to those who can't get out and hear music any more. Another lady, who smiled through the whole performance, said her husband used to play piano and their girls would sing along.

What a blessing it is that even though I am not the best singer on the planet, I get to do something I love and cheer people up in the process. More and more, I am wanting to focus on the things that bring me joy and let go of the things that don't. And sometimes that includes people I have been close to.
There is just so much time and energy and I am becoming very protective of how I spend both.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

7 comments:

Mary Vaughn said...

My daughter tells me that all the time -- Do what makes you happiest. Like you I am learning what those things are. Retirement is teaching me alot. God bless.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You just discovered true joy!

Jody Hedlund said...

Hi Karen,

I think you hit on something very key. We truly do find joy in what we're doing, when we bring joy to others. Even though writing books may not bring much money, there's just something so rewarding about hearing from a reader letting me know that they enjoyed my book! (So thank you, Karen!) :-)

Jules said...

And thus the meaning of life, Joy! It is just too short my friend relish it. I can't carry a tune in a bucket. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

I'm sure everyone at the center appreciated your songs. Because of my church calling, I go every Sunday to an assisted living center and help with services for the residents. I can tell you from first-hand experience, they love having people come and sing. It really brightens their day. Keep up the good work. :)

The Old Silly said...

I think that's a GREAT activity to participate in. Bet it is most satisfying, hmm?

Joanne said...

I like the connection between music and memories, like the woman whose husband used to play piano while her girls sang. I'll bet she pictured beautiful memories with your songs.

And yes, I'm very protective of my time, and what I enjoy, or else it too easily gets frittered away.