Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Aha Moment today - I am a writer!

I just had to share this experience. I was visiting a dear friend who is in the hospital recovering from surgery and now an irregular heart beat. She was talking to me about something or other, what she had for dinner last night or some such thing, but I was only listening with half an ear, because in the bed next to hers a woman had been brought into the hospital the night before. Her daughter had just arrived to see her for the first time and I was so curious about their circumstances and stories that I couldn't focus on my friend and her issues. Luckily, I was able to tell my friend what was happening and we giggled about it together...the bane of a being a writer!

Blessings
Karen

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Like there was any doubt!

Karen Walker said...

Ha, Alex. You're not living inside my skin - thank God.
Karen

Ann Best said...

That's it exactly. Curiosity. The tool of the writer. That's you!

BTW, Karen, I clicked on the link above your book that's supposed to go into Amazon. It goes to some weird page. I tried twice.

Karen Walker said...

Oops, Ann, thanks, I'll check it out and try to fix it.
Karen

Jules said...

I do that all the time, that is my multi-tasking ability :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Jemi Fraser said...

It's bizarre how often we get distracted from real life by interesting people and conversations! So much fun :)

Anonymous said...

Hospitals are real crucibles, aren't they? There are raw emotions on display.
-Simona