Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, March 7, 2011

Monday Musings - Life lessons

I had no idea when I signed up for singing lessons in 2006 just how much it would change my life. I'd always loved singing along to records, but singing in front of others - that's a whole other ball of wax. I was in a small group class - 10 of us. Mostly, we sang group songs and I was just fine. But then we were asked if we wanted to do solos. Before I knew it, my hand shot up. The first time I stood in front of my classmates and sang, all I could do was look down at my toes. If I looked up and saw people looking at me, I froze, warbling off key.

It went beyond stage fright. As I moved through the journey, I came to realize that I had unresolved issues from having been sexually abused at six years old. Issues that involved being terrified of being the center of attention, among other things. I worked with the singing teacher and my classmates over the course of two years, and at the end of that time, I could sing in front of others without freezing.

Because of the phenomenal changes that occurred inside of me during this journey, I now believe I needed the experience of singing lessons to take me to the next level of healing I just wish the universe would find an easier way to get my attention than having me fracture an ankle so I couldn't dance.

Tune in tomorrow for the final piece of my singing journey. Thanks, Joanne, http://joannedemaio.blogspot.com/ for requesting this story. Hope others find it interesting as well.
Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

glad you overcame the stage fright! I still have it! No idea how to knock it either ...

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm not afraid to warble along to music while driving!
Karen, if you have any other passions, please follow them before you have another biking accident.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Fracturing an ankle was definitely a way for the universe to get your attention! Glad that you overcame your stage fright and anxiety in order to shine.

Joanne said...

I'm really enjoying seeing the connections that make singing so important to you. What an interesting instrument of healing singing, and your voice, have become. And Karen, I see your first paragraph here as a great opening to a novel ...

Jules said...

I'm not afraid to sing in front of people, its the stampede of people trying to escape my singing that scares me. :)

And yes I saw the hidden pain here but I'm sticking with the sounds of glorious singing :D
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Karen Walker said...

Jessica, all I can tell you is it has something to do with remaining centered inside yourself and just allowing the you that is you to come through. When I do that, there is no fear.
Alex, I have a hunch you do more than warble. And yes, I'm paying closer attention to my passions.
Elizabeth, thanks so much.
Joanne, it's because of you I am blogging about this. I do believe it was all about finding my voice, literally and figuratively.
Jules, you crack me up.
Karen

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That's wonderful you overcame the stage fright. See, it's not so bad, is it?

Arlee Bird said...

The great thing about being in a class or some other group where members have similar interests and goals is the support you get. It's like family and in many ways better since the members are trying to help each other become better at what they do and share helpful critique and sugggestions. Makes me want to take a class in something.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Sounds as if you have conquered a major hurdle (the ability to sing in front of people) in a short period of time. I admire that you made yourself get out of your comfort zone and tackle something new.

Mary Vaughn said...

Therapy is not always accompanied by a doctor.