Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, March 28, 2011

Monday Musings

I received the second of three injections in my knee. It is something called hyaluronic acid which restores the natural joint fluid (hyaluronan) that cushions, protects and lubricates your knee joint. I'm told it can provide up to six months of pain relief. Here's hoping...

My first piano lesson was so much fun. I learned how to hold my fingers correctly on the keyboard, and the difference between the treble clef and base clef on the music staff. I am practicing every day and enjoying myself immensely.

Saturday night, our folkdance community held its annual Scholarship Ball, a fundraising event to provide money for those who want to attend folkdance camp this summer and are financially unable to do so.
The theme was Arabian Nights, and I went. I did dance some. It was sort of my swan song to folkdancing. Bittersweet, yes. But truly all right. I am in full acceptance of the fact that my knee cannot handle folkdancing right now.

Hubs and me
What are you musing about today?
Blessings
Karen

12 comments:

Vicki Rocho said...

sounds like a great time!

Glad piano lessons are starting well. I've never learned how to read music. I was sick when we covered it in music class at school and it's been a mystery every since.

Tabitha Bird said...

I'm 16 000 words into a book that has stalled... I am doing lots of musing about that.

Lovely photo :)

Karen Walker said...

Reading music has been a long-time goal, Vicki.
Tab, hang in there, it will come in its own time.
Karen

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you got in one last big dance!

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Great pictures! Best wishes with your piano lessons. :)

Jules said...

I sure hope that shot was not as painful as draining your knee. And when you get done with the piano lessons, I'll be glad to give you chair dancing lessons, I'm a pro :)

PS hubs and you sure look fab and in character :D
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Joanne said...

You're going to love those piano lessons. I went to a concert last night, Rod Stewart and Stevie Nicks together. The show was incredible. Music's ability to take us on a journey is a beautiful thing, and I think your piano lessons are the beginning of such a journey in your life.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, yes, it was - bittersweet, but fun!
Elizabeth, thanks - I'm loving the lessons
Jules, the injection wasn't painful the second time and it is helping. Chair dancing lessons - you're on!
Joanne, yes, music does take us somewhere else - Stevie Nicks and Rod Stewart - awesome!!
Karen

Anonymous said...

It was great to see you dancing. I'm hoping the back injury that sidelined me on Saturday is just temporary.
-Simona

Stephen Tremp said...

Best wishes for your knee and the piano lessons. We just picked up a keyboard for the kids. Now I want to play too. Took lessons so many years ago and hoping it will come back.

Karen Walker said...

Simona, didn't you you injured yourself. So sorry.Hope it's better soon.
karen
Stephen, yeah, it's really fun to go back to childhood dreams and re-capture them.
Karen

Craziness abounds said...

Hello,
I was just stopping by from a friends blog and your's pulled me in. I hope it's ok but I will be following.
Melynda