Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Telling the truth Tuesday - acceptance

Now that I have made the difficult decision, I am working on accepting it. I am planning to go folkdancing one last time and do all my favorite, hard, fast dances, a sort of swan song to dancing. It doesn't mean I will never dance again, perhaps I can find some slow, easy, non impact ones I will enjoy. But the ones that make my soul happy - uh uh.

There is sadness, yes. But I am also thinking I've had a good run with dancing. From age 16 to 24. Then some dancing from 28 to 30. Then no dancing till 46. Now I'm turning 62 and have to stop. Not so bad, in the scheme of things.

As we get older, it is inevitable that we face limitations in our lives. Eyesight dims, hearing goes, our legs won't carry us quite so far. This is part of the process. I am working hard at accepting it gracefully.
We'll see...

Blessings,
Karen

16 comments:

Glynis said...

It is hard giving up what we love. There are other more sedate styles of dancing, I am sure you will find a replacement. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Who says you can't dance again after the surgery?

Jules said...

Giving up a simple pleasure is never easy and acceptance will come with that replacement piano. Be kind to yourself and... "GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY," :)

BTW, thank you so much for the kind comment yesterday.
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Jessica Bell said...

You might be totally fine. You'll probably dance again. If there's a will there's a way, right? :o) Thinking of you ... xoxo

Lynn said...

Even if your legs and arms are not moving the way you would like, may your heart always be dancing!

Joanne said...

Once you've mastered the piano, I have a sneaking suspicion there will be some rockin' tunes coming from those keys, with all your energy behind them :)

The Old Silly said...

Sigh, boy don't I know it. Pinched nerves and osteoarthritis plague the Old Silly, and I've had to give up some oh-so-favorite activities. I love playing basketball, for instance, but the jumping and banging - the knees, back, and joints just won't have it anymore, lol. But I can still stretch, do light workouts, and take nice long walks ... and my chess game is improving!

Karen Walker said...

Glynis, yes, there are sedate dances and I can do those, but the ones that feed my soul move a bit faster. It's okay, though. I'm fine, really.
Alex, all the research shows high impact stuff isn't good after total knee replacement.
Jules, thanks for the smile.
Jess, I'm finding it's really all right to let go of something you love. Maybe it's time....
Lynn, my heart feels 17, so hopefully you're right.
Joanne, I hope you're right, too.
Old Silly, I feel your pain - literally and figuratively.
Karen

Talli Roland said...

It's always hard to let something we love go. But I have every confidence you'll find something new!

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Ah...hard decision, Karen. You have so many interests and different talents, though, that I have no worries about your being able to find something else to feed your spirit. :)

Karen Walker said...

Tali, I already have - piano lessons!
Elizabeth, yup, doing something I've wanted to do since I'm 8 years old.
Karen

Arlee Bird said...

Ugh! I wish you hadn't brought up that age thing. I keep having to find new things to do. Just so I can keep my eyesight, my hearing, and my ability to type. Oh, and walking would be nice. Oh, yeah, and getting out of bed.


Lee
Tossing It Out
Twitter hashtag: #atozchallenge

KarenG said...

And then on that day when you are feeling most mournful about not dancing you will see someone in a wheelchair who's been disabled for life who not only never danced but never walked. (That's usually how it works for me anyway.)

Tabitha Bird said...

I think I'm going to find that hard. When I have to quit boxing (and I am sure the day will come) I know that won;t be easy for me.

So, hugs to you. Even though you know it's the right choice, it can't be easy.

Karen Walker said...

Arlee Bird, so,so sorry, but you know me - I blog what I am living.
KarenG, yeah, it does for me, too--eventually!
Tab, it is hard. Just have to roll with life's punches, though.
Karen

Ann Best said...

Yes, I see my daughter every day. She walked until she was 20. But still, I'm trying to grow older gracefully! For me it would be difficult to lose my good health since I've always had it! Knock on wood!!!

As to covers: Yes, I am excited about mine. I remember how extra beautiful yours was in my hand. I'm now excited to hold mine!! Then it will be "real."