Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Telling the truth Tuesday - Is there a reason to keep blogging?

I love to write. When I don't write, I am not happy. I have enjoyed having this blog. In the beginning, it was recommended as part of the marketing strategy for "Following theWhispers," but then it became more about me expressing myself in different ways. I struggle with this on a daily basis, whether to continue blogging or not. I have not mastered the other social media tools writers are using nowadays to create a platform and name for themselves. Nor do I think I will. So, the question is why blog?

I have made connections with many wonderful people through blogging--people I feel close to even though we haven't actually ever met. Which is quite odd, don't you think? But I know I could write many of you off line, or call, if I had your phone number, and we'd connect. Because we share one major thing in common--a love of reading and writing. That is what most bloggers I know write about. But I'm different. I blog about my journey, whether it's the writing journey, the spiritual journey, the relationship journey, I write about what I'm grappling with in any particular moment. Is that enough?

I guess the answer depends on what I'm expecting from the blog. Sure, I'd love to gain more followers. And I have to confess, it still hurts when someone decides to stop following me, because I can never know why. But that can't be the goal of this blog.

I guess my intention is to share my journey and hopefully connect and maybe help others on theirs. If my mistakes and lessons learned enlighten you in some way, then I feel as if this blog is successful. It's just not in the usual terms of success, i.e. a huge amount of followers, many of whom leave comments.

So, for the time being, I will continue to share my experience, strength and hope here on this blog and hope to keep touching on issues others connect with.

How about you? Why do you blog?
Blessings,
Karen

13 comments:

Jules said...

Which is exactly why I follow your blog, the journey. You have written many things that have encouraged, enlighten and up-lifted me. Please consider me a TRUE follower, not to be confused with stalker :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Joanne said...

I always enjoy stopping by here and seeing what's happening ... There's one thing I'd love to see more of though, and that is getting into the details of your singing. I'm all about living our passions, and you seem so thrilled with song ... I'd enjoy posts about how you came to sing, how songs move you, emotional connections with lyrics and audience, that sort of thing. Have you ever considered a series of posts on that topic?

The Old Silly said...

I fell in love with blogging years ago and the romance remained fresh for several years. But like in real life, I think the relationship needs occasional "free time" and "me time" so I decided I would take the occasional haitus from blogging when it gets stale and 'not fun' - the same old same old feeling, hmm? It keeps it fresh for me.

But I'm glad you're sticking with it, your readers (me included) benefit from your sharing of your journey. Just don't do it at the expense of your own sense of freedom and/or happiness, like when you start asking yourself, while scratching your head raw over what to write/post today, "And I'm making myself do this every day WHY, again?" LOL

Karen Walker said...

Jules, thank you so much. I appreciate knowing that.
Joanne, that is a lovely idea. I will write some posts about my singing journey.
Marvin, yes, finding that balance and making sure blogging doesn't become a hated chore is key for me.
Karen

KarenG said...

Mine started originally as a marketing tool as well but by the time I figured it all out, my books had been out too long to really matter. However, I plan on using it to set up blog tours and buzz for my new release this year. So we'll see how that goes. meanwhile I blog because I love to write and to network with other writers. I like yours and always read it (can't say that about everyone I follow) because it's real and authentic and touches a chord. We often seem to be going through the same things at the same time. It's so weird. It's like you're my sister or something. I have a sister who lives in illinois and we don't talk on the phone a lot but when we do we are going through the same stuff at the same time! I do hope you will continue. I would really miss your posts if you ceased. It would be like losing a dear friend.

Mason Canyon said...

I agree with Jules. I follow for your journey. I don't always get to comment, but I do enjoy your post. The different aspects of life you touch on makes me stop and consider things in my life. As for followers commenting, I'm always amazed when I visit a blog that has four or five hundred followers and only three people have commented. Hard to understand. I hope you continue. You would be greatly missed if you didn't.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If you're not blogging what YOU want to blog, what's the point?
I started because I was told to get my butt online. I'm also on Twitter, but I don't do much else.
I've continued because of the writers, movie lovers, music lovers, and other interesting people I've met along the way.
I blog because it's a joy.
Hope you don't give it up, Karen. Find YOUR joy and stick with it.

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I enjoy your blogs for your honesty. I started my blog at the suggestion of my publisher. It’s the online friends I have made that keeps me blogging.

Karen Walker said...

Karen, thanks so much for sharing that. How many of us wonder who is reading what we write and what they think of it.
Mason, the same is true for me with your blog. I read it, but don't always comment. I love what you do there.
Alex, great advice. I'll do it!
Jane, thank you for that. I love your blog for the quirky things you find out and share with us.
Karen

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I think Marvin nailed it. For me, blogging started out as something really prosaic--something I *had* to do. It quickly became a way of making relationships with other writers.

Arlee Bird said...

I blog because I'm addicted.

It seems that way sometimes. I think there are many reasons why I blog. Some are the same as what you and others said. Primarily I guess ro me it has something to do with eventual hopes of publishing something and having that much touted platform. Also though, it's a great way to experiment with writing and marketing techniques. I can just toss things out with no real risk involved and see what works and what doesn't.

There are so many reasons to blog. Hope you stick with it and do what you're doing. And if you get the urge experiment some and see what else you can do. We're a pretty tolerant and supportive bunch.

Lee
Tossing It Out

~Ellie Kings~ said...

I think some of us come across that question at one point or another. To be honest, I've thought about giving it up myself. But, then I realize the connection we make with others, even if we've never met, is, after all, wonderful. We learn from each other,Karen. Encouraging, inspiring and lifting each others spirits, big following or not, we're still here. xo

Jen Chandler said...

I have always enjoyed reading about your journey. You communicate so well, be it funny or poignant.

Blogging has been a wonderful outlet for me creatively and I've met so many wonderfully, talented writers. There isn't a writer's group where I live so blogger has been my life line to the writing and publishing world.

Keep blogging, Karen, for as long as you feel it is right for you. We'll be here :)

Happy weekend,
Jen