Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Telling the truth Tuesday - puzzled

Okay, I've been avoiding writing about this because I don't want to be perceived as whiny or negative. And I don't want people to think I obsess about things that aren't worthy of obsession, i.e. important.
Many of you know I used to be 50 pounds overweight. I am 5' 3 1/2" and weighed 183 pounds in June of 2007. It took about 1 1/2 years to lose 40 pounds and the last 10 came off over the course of the next year. I've been cruising along at around 134 - till this past Christmas. I gained a few pounds, but unlike other times when I gained a few pounds, they didn't come off, even though I did all the same things I'd always done to get them off.

Now it's almost April, and I'm 4 pounds over my goal weight of 135. And I'm upset. Nothing I try is working. I was already doing as much exercise as possible for me, with all my various physical challenges. Except I wasn't. Yes, I was walking, but my heart rate wasn't increased much at all. So, this is the last resort. I am going to increase my walking pace and keep it up for 20 minutes, then bump it faster for two more minutes, then cool down for a few. If that doesn't work, I'll tear my hair out.

For those of you who have never had a weight issue, you probably won't understand this post. But two pounds can so easily become four pounds and four pounds can so easily become 10 pounds, and on and on. I am so unwilling to be overweight again. I just don't know what caused the change. If I'm eating the exact same way I was, has my metabolism slowed even more? Am I retaining more water? The doctors haven't helped - they just say it's a function of getting older. Yuck!

In the meantime, I'm watching my sodium intake - you'd be surprised at how much sodium is in packaged and processed foods and when you eat out. Even low sodium beef broth has 1/2 the amount of sodium I should eat in one day in one serving.

I do know that in the scheme of things, particularly with natural disasters like what happened in Japan and all the death and suffering that abounds, this is minor. But in my world, it's a big deal.

What things are puzzling you?
Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

Glynis said...

I so understand your problem. I have the same. I am short and overweight. My food intake is fine. My metabolism is sluggish. Magnesium helps me jog along.

I hope you keep smiling, don't let it get you down. x

Joanne said...

At one of my last doctor visits, I told her I think my metabolism has stopped. She laughed and said I was probably right :/

Some of the chain restaurants list the salt content of their meals on their websites so you can know ahead of time. Some of them are appalling, and have been the reason I've stopped going to certain restaurants.

Sharon Lippincott said...

May I join you on those walks? I'd love to shed at least four pounds myself, and even more than that, I need the exercise. It's hard to tear myself away to walk alone, so bravo that you are doing this!

My tongue is only half in my cheek when I say you've taken a positive step in writing about this. If you search for "weight loss journal" you'll find all sorts of info about the value of journaling as part of a weight-loss program. I've heard good things about Julia Cameron's book The Writing Diet. She's also short and gained weight as a result of the meds she must take to fend off crippling emotional problems.

Now, if we could only find a way to journal as we walk ...

AlexOngNYC said...

I've always struggled with my weight and self-image so I can relate, I'm one bucket of chicken from a dietary disaster.

Right now I'm just vexed on how I've gotten myself into a situation where I've met someone I can't have. And the feelings just get stronger.

Alex
Breakfast Every Hour

Karen Walker said...

Glynis, thanks for the words of support - so nice to know we're not alone out here.
Joanne, that's a great tip about chain restaurants. I'll check that out.
Sharon, love you to join me on my walk - it does get lonely. I have started journalling again to help me sort things thru about everything.
Alex, that's really hard - I'm sorry - hope you can let go soon.
Karen

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Don't buy the getting older stuff!
Is there one more little thing you can do different? Cut out one can of soda? Walk an extra fifteen minutes?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I guess the simple answer for you is that if what you're doing isn't working, change it.
I know, women hate hearing that...

Jules said...

I have to ask this to get it out of my system...but have you walked yourself into 2 pounds of muscle? I'm trying to be positive here :) I agree with L. Diane, age is not the answer to everything.
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Karen Walker said...

Diane, that's exactly what I'm trying - cut down the calories a bit, increase the walking speed and drinking more liquids.
Alex, yup, we do hate it, but it's true - the definition of insanity is doing
the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
Jules, oh how I wish it were two pounds of muscle.
Karen

Helen Ginger said...

I think you're doing the right thing by changing your walking routine. I walk on an elliptical trainer and I've changed it up - longer time and now moved up to rolling hills instead of flat ground.

I think you've gotten some great tips here. I'm making note of them.

Bob Sanchez said...

My sympathies, Karen. Hitting your target weight is one thing, while staying there is another. But it does sound like you're very determined. You'll do it.