Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A-Z Challenge: E - Eat, Sleep, Chill

I guess I'm on a 12-step slogan theme here and didn't realize it. Another slogan I love is Don't get too hungry, angry, lonely or tired, hence: Eat, Sleep, Chill.

I am hypoglycemic, so when I go more than 3 hours without eating, my blood sugar drops, I get extremely anxious and irritable. I know this about myself, so I do everything I can do eat every few hours. My friends know that when we make plans to eat out, if it's too late for me, I'll either eat before I come and just have tea, or I won't go. I can't snack before hand, because I am weight conscious and that's too many calories.

Getting enough sleep is crucial to well being. If I get too much (which rarely happens any more), I slog through the day groggy and out of sorts. If I don't get enough, I slog through the day, groggy and out of sorts. It throws me off balance, making decisions is difficult because I'm not centered. So I do everything I can to get enough sleep (a minimum of 6 hours, 8 is best).

As for chill - well, if we don't learn to take things in stride, give ourselves time to calm down before responding to anything, we get ourselves in trouble. I used to be an extremely reactive person. I have learned to either take a deep breath before speaking, ask for a time out, or simply say how I'm feeling and go from there. But just reacting without thought makes us say things we will regret later.

If there's one thing I've learned from the many bad relationships I've had, it's that we can't take back those harsh words and they leave a lasting impact. The other person may forgive us one time, two times, ten times, but a little bit of the love erodes each time and at some point, a threshold is crossed and it's over.

So, Eat, Sleep and Chill.
Blessings,
Karen

37 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

Eat. Sleep Chill. I love it.
I have recently been diagnosed with bipolar II disorder and I HAVE to watch these three things very closely. I must eat well, sleep well and chill often. So it's great life advise. Also good for writers who are getting there knickers in a knot about there books.

Ellie said...

Great message in your post!

I'm the same as you with regard to eating - I need to eat little and often, or at least regularly, or I get bad-tempered and develop the shakes. Gosh. It sounds like an addiction when you put it like that. LOL.

Nice to have found your blog.

Ellie Garratt

AlexOngNYC said...

Wow, it's so crazy, I saw someone who reminded me of my ex and all the harsh words I said to him that ended it and I still have to remind myself to forgive myself.

Alex from Breakfast Every Hour was here.

Jules said...

That last paragraph speaks volumes! And I want a bumper sticker, "Eat, Sleep, Chill." :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

KatieO said...

Good mantra for my busy spring - and for getting through the month of A to Z!

Lynn said...

All so true! I used to work all day not stopping to eat and then just eat junk late at night when too tired to cook. I feel so much better remembering to chill out and take care of me which in turn is better for all around me.

Karen Walker said...

Tabitha, hope this helps remind you.
Ellie, oh my gosh, it does sound like an addiction!
Alex, do forgive yourself and learn from it to watch what you say more closely.
Jules, hey, great idea for a bumper sticker.
Katie, good luck with that!
Lynn, most important lesson I've ever learned - to take care of me.
Karen

Talli Roland said...

I'm with you on the sleep bit. I rarely get too much, but if I get too little... it can be tough to make it through the day.

Sue H said...

Eat Sleep Chill - say, who'd'a thought Giant Pandas have the secret to a happy life! ;-)

Seriously - this attitude to life will reap benefits - we rush about too much and cram so much into our days is it any wonder we reach burn-out!

Great post!

SueH I refuse to go quietly!

Karen Walker said...

Talli, yes, too little is way worse than too much for me.
Sue, Giant Pandas, didn't know that. Thanks.
Karen

Michelle Gregory said...

such good reminders. thanks from someone else who has to eat often, try for more sleep, and is learning to chill.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

My daughter has to eat often and have plenty of rest, her sugar levels drops , she has "border diabetes" but as long as she does what she is told she is fine.

Enjoyed reading, it surprised me the different conditions people have to have to eat often.

Yvonne.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Great advise. The eating part is easy ... TOO easy, especially since I gave up smoking. Sleep depends on the activity level of our cats, (sleep becomes elusive when they're using me as their personal trampoline) as well as the persistence of my muse, who evidently doesn't require much sleep. Chill is my middle name. (or it oughta be) As for blurting words you regret later, best to remember that it's always smart to season your words well, because you may have to eat them.

Andrea said...

Eat, sleep, chill... Good advice, I luuuuurve them all! The mroe the better. Which is probably not always for the better.
But there you go, I allow myself mistakes.
PS: Thanks for your visit.
- andrea

Eliza said...

Eat, sleep and chill. I rarely get quality sleep, and I eat a lot of rubbish at times, a hazard of working shifts. Thanks for visiting my blog, you'll have to excuse me, you caught me on a bad day :-)

Karen Walker said...

Michelle,nice to find fellow travelers on this journey.
Yvonne, thanks. Glad your daughter is managing it well.
Susan, love that about seasoning our words - great!
Andrea, you are so welcome.
Eliza, no worries Hope your day gets better.
Karen

Janet said...

Wise words we should all heed. Thanks for the post!

Ann said...

Eat,Sleep and Chill...practice to live by. I cannot function if I don't get a nights sleep.

K.C. Woolf said...

Great topics so far, thank you!

'Eat, sleep and chill', 3 things I often have to remind myself to do.

Sarah Allen said...

This is a very wise post, and we could all do well to follow the advice here. Thanks for sharing! Hello from a fellow A-Zer.

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Laura M. Campbell said...

Looking over your previous posts, your 12-step theme can help more than just addicts. Everything in moderation, including moderation. Thanks. Good luck with the challenge!

Nicole Mc said...

So glad to have found you!! This is a good reminder...it's the basics that keep us healthy and happy!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

And women wonder why men are so good at just sitting around and doing nothing - we're chilling!

Karen Walker said...

Janet, thanks.
Ann and KC, thanks.
Sarah, you're welcome
Laura, that's true - moderation.
Nicole, ditto
Alex, ah, so that's what hubby's doing when he's watching TV. Hmmm.
Karen

Liz Fichera said...

I'm still working on the "Chill" part. That's always been my struggle.

So nice to meet you today, Karen!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. fun thoughts with a very serious meaning .. I know if I don't treat my body the way it wants to be treated .. I feel terrible. So your eat, sleep, chill makes perfect sense ..

cheers for now .. E for Eat - good one .. Hilary

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Wish I got more sleep! Home last night at midnight from a seminar and up again at 5:30. I need to follow your advice.

Kathy said...

Hi Karen,
I know too well about hypoglycemia and it's effects on you. Great 'E' blog. Your book looks like something we might like to read for our book club. I'll check it our on Amazon. Is it at Indigo as well? Looking forward to reading more from your A-Z challenge.

I found you with the ‘surprise me’ button. I’m a new follower of yours. I'd love to have you check out my take on the A to Z Challenge, comment and follow, if you'd like.
http://oaklawnimages.blogspot.com/
Kathy at Oak Lawn Images

Stephen Tremp said...

I like that. And in that order. I ate, I took a nap, now I'm going to chill and watch Monster Bug Wars that I taped from last night. I love that show.

Helen Ginger said...

An old saying, although I can't remember exactly how it goes, says that you can't take back words.

I love the mantra: Eat. Sleep. Chill.

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

Great rules to live by. Thanks for sharing them.

nutschell said...

Important rules to follow if you wish to live a happy life. I eat, sleep and chill. It's finding the balance between these three that gets a bit tricky.
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Glynis said...

A wonderful motto!

My daughter is hypoglycaemic and is suffering during her pregnancy. She would empathise with you.

Sarah Mäkelä said...

I live by that too! Whenever I'm not feeling right, I think HALT. Hungry-Angry-Lonely-Tired.

Margo Kelly said...

Yup. Seriously. The chill part is probably the hardest for me!
:)

Olivia J. Herrell said...

Ooo, Karen, love this! Good for taking care of you and for setting an example for the rest of us!

~ that rebel, Olivia

KjM said...

I am often chilled (not in the cold sense, I live in California! :) - and try for an even keel. It wasn't always so.

And, truth to tell, it still isn't *always* so. When the chill goes, I get anxious and attempt to prepare for the worst of all possibilities. Mercifully my partner knows this about me and understands that the even keel will return.

Equally mercifully, it's no longer often that it occurs. Progress.