Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, April 8, 2011

A-Z Challenge: G - Growth

When I lost custody of my only son when I was 28 years old, it catapulted me into a major life crisis. Depressed and filled with despair, and hating myself more than anyone can imagine, there were times I no longer wanted to be alive. But it was also the beginning of a journey of healing that continues today, 34 years later. I have grown, spiritually, emotionally, and physically, in so many ways. At that time, I made a decision that I was willing to do whatever it took to be content - at peace with myself.

Growth is not easy. It takes work, diligence, perseverance. And most importantly, willingness.

Are you willing?
Blessings,
Karen

33 comments:

Talli Roland said...

Karen, what a strong and brave woman you are.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You are either growing or dying. Glad you decided to grow.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Yes, agree you are a very strong person,
Yvonne,

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You're amazing, Karen.

Jessica Bell said...

Willing! You are an amazing woman. Please don't ever forget that. :o) xoxo

Sharon Lippincott said...

When you quit growing, you die. When I was young, there was a lot of talk about "growing pains." I never suffered physical ones, but the ones we write books about are not physical ones. Keep reaching for the sunshine.

Jules said...

Willing and trying! You never cease to inspire me either. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Nice reminder! Thanks so much, Karen.

Karen Walker said...

Talli, people have frequently said that, but it's not something I felt inside. Till now.
Diane, me, too.
Yvonne, so are you from what I can gather from your blog.
Alex, thanks.
Jessica, yes, willingness. And I'll try not to forget.
Sharon, you, too, my friend.
Jules, willingness is key.
Elizabeth. You're so welcome
Karen

Joanne said...

I've found, in life, that just about anything worthwhile to do takes effort, lots of effort. And it's always worth the effort in the end.

~Nicole Ducleroir~ said...

You've squeezed my heart with this honest post. Thanks for sharing your beauty and wisdom with us. You inspire me!

Ann said...

It is the sign of true strength of character. How we deal with the hardships and tragedies of our lives. Some give up; some pull up their boots and get on with it. You are a boot puller. Good for you.

septembermom said...

Thank you for dropping by my blog and your kind comment. You have a wonderfully honest and genuine blog. I'm happy to follow you :) Have a wonderful day!

Stephanie said...

Wow...so glad you have found the path that works for you!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Thanks for your lovely comment. Look forward to your H word,

GigglesandGuns said...

Growth can be so healing and you are doing it so beautifully.
Prayers and blessings.

MaryV

Cre8tiv Glory said...

Love this piece about growth. Sometimes change is like giving birth. So much pain and then the desired change takes hold.

Thank you for following my blog.

Gloria

Jack Edwards Poetry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jack Edwards Poetry said...

You are so strong and inspiring

the writing pad said...

What an inspiring story - well done you and thanks for the post.
All best
Karla

Matthew Vanacore said...

Well that post gets the most inspirational message of the day award! Great job.

And nice blog!

Karen Walker said...

Joanne, you are so right.
Nicole, I am so touched by your comment. Thank you.
Ann, boot puller - I love it!
Septembermom, Stephanie and Wonderful world of poetry, thanks so much.
Giggles and Guns, thank you.
Gloria and Jack, wow, thank you.
The Writing Pad, thanks
Mathew, wow, thanks a bunch.
Karne

Vyvyka said...

though it is sad you lost custody, but it is very inspiring to know that in spite of that,you pulled through to become this great woman you are today!

Nicki Elson said...

Sometimes hitting rock bottom is what it takes. I'm so glad you made the decision to grow and that you've flourished. I'm very happy to "meet" you on this challenge too. :)

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Thank you for sharing. The emotional low points are much tougher than the physical, but you made it through, and as you say, you've grown because of it. It was tough, but you're tougher. And now, you and your writing both have more depth because of your experiences.

Taryn Tyler said...

The most frustrating thing about growing is that it never ends. ever.

Taryn Tyler said...

but its a good kind of frustration.

Claire Goverts said...

Wow, what an inspiring post, thanks for sharing.

Jaydee Morgan said...

I'm definitely willing - you can never stop growing :)

Karen Walker said...

Vyvyka, thanks so much for acknowledging that.
Nicki, yes, sometimes it does take hitting bottom. Would like to find an easier way to learn lessons.
Susan, you're right. I am stronger because of what I've gone through.
Taryn, I hope I never stop growing.
Claire, thank you so much.
Jaydee, willingness is so key.
Karen

Ella said...

Karen, I can't imagine your despair! I admire your strength and courage to work through it! You are a Brave Woman! We all have to grow and evolve and change is hard! I admire you~

damyantiwrites said...

Inspiring post. It will make me think twice about quibbling and complaining.

Connie Arnold said...

This certainly is an inspiring post! It's so important to grow from experiences, but as you say, it's hard work. Thank you for sharing this, Karen.