Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Thursday, April 14, 2011

A-Z Challenge: L - Live and Let Live

Oh, I love this slogan. It says so much in just four words. Let's look at them. First, Live. We have a finite amount of time on this planet, in this incarnation anyway, for those of us who believe we come back. How are we best going to use that time?

I spent so many years on auto-pilot, I am determined to live my life to the fullest for as long as I possibly can. What that means for me is to pay attention to my priorities and try to focus on those things that are most important. The way I get in touch with my priorities is to do an exercise where I fast-write my life goals, taking about 2 or 3 minutes to do so. Then I fast-write my 5-year goals in the same amount of time. Lastly, I fast-write what I'd do if I found I only had six months to live. Believe me, your priorities become quite clear doing this little exercise.

The second part of the slogan is Let Live. If only the world would learn how to do this, war would be eliminated. It means letting others live the way they want to live. We don't get to judge or try to change what they say or do. We accept. Now that is very simplistic, I know. But in our own personal lives, if we can learn to allow others to be themselves, our relationships get much smoother. That doesn't mean people won't do things to upset us, and if what someone does impinges on our lives, we have to say or do something. But it does mean if Mrs. Jones spends more than she makes or wears too much makeup or is desperately trying to look younger than she is, well, that is none of my business - unless she asks my opinion.

So, live and let live. Just for today.
Blessings,
Karen

43 comments:

KarenG said...

My mom used to use this expression. She would say,"Oh well. Live and let live." My way of saying it is a little shorter. I say "Oh well." Means the same thing! Great post!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I quite agree with you just 4 words that mean so much in life.

Yvonne.

Retired Knitter said...

Amen, amen! Why is it that humans have so much of a problem with letting others live their own lives.

Wanda said...

Good words for us to remember as we journey through life.

Jenny said...

Such good advice, and what a great exercise. We all need to take a couple of minutes to reprioritize now and then.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Mason Canyon said...

Wonderful four words for us to remember and practice each day.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

I'm right with you, Karen. So much can be solved by living according to this saying. I love your idea about life goals. Excellent.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wise words today, Karen.

Karen Walker said...

KarenG, yes, it does.
Yvonne, thanks.
RetiredKnitter, if we knew the answer to that we could solve so many problems.
Wanda and Jenny, thanks and you're welcome.
Mason, thanks - how are you?
Paul, amen, and glad you liked the exercise.
Alex, thank you, my friend.
Karen

Ann said...

More's the pity this philosophy is not that widely held. What a world we would have! Another great post Karen.

Angela Felsted said...

Karen, you are inspired. How many stupid, petty, arguments can be avoided if we can only learn to accept others for how they are.

Dafeenah said...

Great L post and such great advice. If only more people believed this way. The world would definitely be a much better place.

Dafeenah

Helen Ginger said...

Used to be, when someone butted into your life, they were called a buttinskee (I'm guessing at the spelling). In most cases, buttinskees should butt out. I like the idea of live and let live.

Joanne said...

Hm, sounds like a good motto for the Just-Me club ...

L. Diane Wolfe said...

We need to spend more time worrying about us and not others.

Karen Walker said...

Ann, yes, if only
Angela, can't take credit for the slogan
Dafeena, at least bloggydom can practice this, yes?
Helen, oh I love that term -
Joanne, I just might have to start that club idea of yours
Diane, yup, yup yup
Karen

D. Heath said...

We live in such a competitive stressful environment that it can be difficult to just live life to fullest and let life. Thanks for the reminder :)

Sharon - Grandma is a writer said...

Thanks for your visit to my blog and your comment, Karen.

Enjoyed your post here.

Claudie A. said...

I've always loved the expression, too. I don't like confrontations and "Live and Let Live" speaks to me. So much conflict would be avoided if more people listened to that advice.

Came through A to Z. Glad I found you! :)

Belle said...

When we pass judgements on other people, we are actually saying we are better than them. We don't know why people do what they do, but we should definately "Live and Let Live".

Laura Eno said...

The world would be a peaceful place if people could do that!

Kerrie said...

Great advice! Have a fabulous day!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Absolutely. I agree 100%. In fact, in the late 60s, I wrote a song with this title.

Darlene said...

Ahh, if only! Great post.

J.L. Campbell said...

Sound advice. We have a problem in Jamaica learning to live with other people's choices. Not all of us, however, I do wish that we'd leave others to live their lives without casting judgment and hurting other for no reason.

Julie said...

Your posts are always so inspiring, great advice!

Karen Walker said...

D. Heath and Sharon, thanks so much
Claudie, I know, I know. It's sad more people don't get it.
Belle, that's an excellent point.
Laura and Kerrie, thanks.
Susan, love to see the lyrics
Darlene, sigh!
J.L., wouldn't that be lovely?
Julie, thank you.
Karen

GigglesandGuns said...

A great motto to live by.

Langley said...

Live and let live! Amen. This is a lovely post and I'm going to try your fast-writing exercise. I bet that is very revealing. Thanks.

I’m A-Z Blogging on Langley Writes about Writing and Langley’s Rich and Random Life

Kendal said...

I really enjoyed your post. What great advice!

Karen Walker said...

Giggles and Guns, yup!
Langley, it never fails to help me prioritize
Kendal, thanks
karen

Ann Best said...

You've said it all perfectly, Karen.

And thanks so much for your comments during this time of my daughter's neck surgery. She is doing SO much better today. It's now been 8 days. So I'm home and happy because she sounded upbeat today when I called. One of her co-workers took her to the hair salon where she works. Her friends are her life.

Life gets difficult, then the light shines through the clouds. I focus on enjoying those sunny days to the max! Hope you're enjoying a sunny day today, too!!
Ann Carbine Best’s Long Journey Home

Manzanita said...

Words to live by. I've meant to tell you how much I love your profile picture where you are singing. Looks like you are having fun.

Spenc said...

I love this expression too, I used to have a shirt that said "Vegan, Live and let live" I don't know what happened to it. I'm going to try your exercise, I think I'll find my priorities will be prioritized.

Karen Walker said...

Ann, so glad she's home and recovering so nicely. Be gentle with you.
Manzanita, you are too kind. Thank you.
Spenc, it's never failed for me.
Karen

Jo Schaffer said...

(= Simple but true.

Hold my hand: a social worker's blog said...

Very clever, Karen. This is a great reflection--I love it!

Doris

Alexis Bass Writes said...

I'm also a big fan of this slogan! Nice to meet you! *waves*

Jingle said...

brilliant message,

live for now,
let others live their lives on their best way...

love your take.
smiles.
Bless you all the way.

Tracy Jo said...

LOVE this and something I work on everyday...living my life to the fullest!

Thank you for putting such wonderful thoughts to words.

~Tracy

damyantiwrites said...

Thank you so much for sharing...I agree with every word of your post.

L is for Lies: Flash Fiction

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Thank you Karen for the comment.

Yvonne,

Lisa Vella said...

Wonderful post! Thank you so much for some wonderful insights! Have a nice day!

Lisa