Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A-Z Challenge: P - Pardon me, I'm writing here...

Learning to become protective of my time and energy is difficult. It is almost impossible for me to not answer the phone if it rings, no matter what I'm doing. Nor is leaving emails alone for a few hours, or checking to see who posted what on their blog. Making writing a priority is important to my well-being, so I'm learning a new phrase: Pardon me, I'm writing. If the phone rings, and I must answer it, I will say these words. Same if the doorbell rings. Or my mind tells me to go to the grocery store or do the laundry or make that phone call. Pardon me, I'm writing here....

Bye for now,
Karen

26 comments:

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Very good post, love the way you express yourself.

Enjoy your day.
Yvonne.

The Toll House Cookie said...

My grandmother used that expression all the time. It's very polite and refined.

K.C. Woolf said...

Good idea to say that to oneself as well. Thanks! :-)

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

Great idea. Though I'm still trying to get past the idea that sometimes I might just have to leave my wife in the living room while I go to the front room to write at my desktop pc instead of battling with the laptop on the couch.

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Yvonne,
Toll House Cookie, yes it does sound a bit old-fashioned - I think that's why I like it.
KC, ooh, yes, I hadn't thought of that.
Paul, same issue here, leaving hubby - except mostly I write during the day while he's at work.
Karen

The Old Silly said...

LOL, love it. Short, sweet, and to the 'pardon me' point!

Laura Eno said...

Yes! I unplug the phone and sit in the backyard to write on a yellow pad - no computer distractions. You would still have to use that phrase on yourself though, to get rid of the grocery list. :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Learn to ignore it! It's kinda fun.

Talli Roland said...

I've become extremely of my writing time. I don't answer the phone, the door... it's all about the novel!

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Thank you for your lovely comment.
Yvonne,

Julie said...

I struggle with this as well, I'm working on getting better at it. Inspiring post as always! :)

Siv Maria said...

So relating now!

Amy Wood said...

I'm always interrupting my writing time with tasks I shouldn't be doing. I'll have to try to use that phrase on myself the next time.
http://ifbloggingburnedcalories.blogspot.com

Arlee Bird said...

I'm very easily interrupted. If the phone rings I nearly always answer. Then again there have been times when my phone doesn't ring for a day or two so I'm not really bothered by it that much.


Lee
Tossing It Out
Twitter hashtag: #atozchallenge

Rae said...

Great post! I get easily distracted by interruptions also...emails, phone calls, family, life, etc.

C.A. said...

My writing time is like free therapy....so I find that if I look at it that way, I stay more true to it. I wouldn't neglect going to talk about my feelings with someone, so my writing helps in the same way. Great for you for the positive mind set!

Hugs...

C.A.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Good for you for making time for writing! It's always tough to fit it in.

lbdiamond said...

So true!

Sometimes it's hard to limit the distractions. I like your idea of specifically devoting time to writing.

Ann said...

I am going to adopt that one Karen. Pardon me I'm writing. Yes that one is for me!

Tracy Jo said...

Me too! I try hard to carve out time every day because it makes me feel so much better. Love it!

Melissa Sarno said...

Oh Karen, I love that! Definitely going to incorporate that saying into my daily routine.

Cindy Carroll said...

Good for you! I never feel the need to answer the phone when it rings. I was in customer service for eight years, answering the phone and answering questions every day. So now I hate talking on the phone and I always let it go to voice mail unless it's my sister, my mom, my boyfriend or my best friend. I also never answer the door unless I'm expecting someone.

KjM said...

Good advice. The computer I do much of my writing on has no email, twitter or facebook. It does have a browser, but I try really, really hard not to launch it.

When I am doing any lengthy writing, I write on a pad with a fountain pen, at a desk away from any computer. It's the best way for me to stay focused (I can't even look up alternative meanings/words while I'm scribbling.)

Whatever it takes, no?

Pixiebaby said...

Good post! I have struggled with this myself in the past, and still do occasionally. Getting better at simply turning the ringers off when I feel myself slipping into that zone where work is flowing nicely. Glad to see that you are taking control of your time and respecting your writing.

Some people will not understand that interrupting while writing is just the same as interrupting at an outside job, even more important at times. So, good for you! :)

Jack Edwards Poetry said...

I have need to be stricter in the time I allocate to writing. ATM it is usually a few scribbles whenever I'm on the bus into town.

Great post.

Stratoz said...

wonderful phrase to pull you back to being aware of your passion to write