Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, April 22, 2011

A-Z Challenge: S - Simplicity

You can tell from my other posts during this challenge, that the 12-step programs had a great impact on my life and my psyche. Another of their infamous slogans was Keep it Simple, Stupid. KISS. I didn't like it so much because of the stupid tagged onto the end of it. But the notion of simplicity makes great sense.

How often do you engage in a conversation and you are asked a question, but rather than answer it directly, you go off on tangents that may or may not have anything to do with the question you were asked.

Or in your writing, do you complicate a simple scene with too much information or too much dialogue or too much description?

I used to love drama and crisis. Bring on the complications. Oh, a problem? Yippee, I'll get right in there and fix it. Well, those things no longer thrill me. In fact they derail me. Probably did back then as well and I didn't even know it.

Nowadays, I love keeping things simple. Just let me write my blogs, without distraction, or work on my novel. Keep distractions to a minimum. Or, if I'm having a dinner party, I don't have to invite 16 people. I can keep it to 4 or 8. And the menu doesn't have to be elaborate. Simple, easy, elegant.

Do you like things simple or complicated? What works for you?
Blessings,
Karen

33 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

Simple! Simple is more often than not so much more pleasant.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Lovely post to read, I like to keep things simple in general but at times I make a rod for my own back......so I'm told.

Yvonne.

Paula Martin said...

Definitely simple, in my books as well as in real life. Life was complicated when I was younger, so now I appreciate its relative simplicity.

Jennifer Shirk said...

SIMPLE all the way. But sometimes I do unknowingly complicate things. :)

Fa L'Americana said...

I think many of us feel a social pressure to be more complex; keep up lots of hobbies, have big dinner parties. Often though, the experience is much more pleasurable when you can focus and simplify, as you say.

In most things i like simple... though I am very guilty of conversational tangents. It's my major weakness :P

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Definitely simple. I'm a man of few words.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I keep things very simple or else I'm easily overwhelmed. Great advice about keeping things simple in our books, too--it really does make so much sense not to overwhelm a great plot or great characters with *stuff*.

Odie Langley said...

The title of my blog "The Simple Life" is what Odie is all about. I thrive on quiet times. My ideal time would be sitting in a rocking chair, looking up at a mountain during a thunder storm with Rocky in my lap. Simplicity is awesome.

Jules said...

Or as I always say, "Don't build me a clock, just tell me the time." Simple.

But lately even simple has gotten complicated. Not to worry I stepped back, picked myself up and brushed away the dust.

Yeap, the dust cloud is me :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

L. Diane Wolfe said...

My husband cuts me off if I begin to make it complicated and long. And maybe Keep It Simple Silly is better?

Ruth @Welcome to me said...

Simple is the best way to be.

Angela Felsted said...

Simple is the way to go. Too bad keeping things simple is harder than it sounds.

Karen Walker said...

Jessica, ah, yes.
Yvonne, oh, I love that term - hadn't heard that one.
Paula, yes, me, too.
Jennifer, yes, I unknowingly complicate things also -I work hard at staying fully present and conscious so as not to do that.
Fa'La Americana, sometimes it's really hard not to go off on tangents while conversation is flowing. I struggle with that as well.
Alex, but those few words are wonderful!
Elizabeth, I get overwhelmed easily as well.
Odie, I love the title of your blog.
Jules, glad you're okay.
Diane, sounds like the perfect partner. and yes, Keep it Simple Silly is much much better.
Ruth, I agree.
Angela, smart girl.
Karen

kmckendry said...

The simpler the better!

Manzanita said...

As we get older, we seem to blend into a calm and as we relax, it all fits together. Congratulations for having the basic tools from former programs to be able to understand matters now.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Many thanks for the lovely comment,
Have a great week-end.
Yvonne.

GigglesandGuns said...

Simple, simple, simple. The less confusion the better.

Ann Best said...

At my age, Simplicity is my thing, too!

And yes, it's good to be back. Thanks.
Ann Carbine Best’s Long Journey Home

Snakesmom said...

The older I get the more simple I prefer things! :)

Bluestocking Mum said...

Such a good post Karen! I make everything so complicated, but actually all I would like is a simple life, and simple, uncomplicated writing.

Karen Walker said...

kmckendry, amen!
Manzanita, so true. Thank you.
Yvonne,you're welcome.
GigglesnadGuns, yes, yes, yes
Ann, so true. glad you're back.
Snakesmom, me, too.
Karen

Karen Walker said...

Bluestocking Mum, thank you so much. It takes effort to keep things simple.
Karen

Linda H. said...

I used to like doing things "big" but now I prefer things simple. I am not sure if the change comes from getting older or not. I prefer to think I prefer simple now because I am wiser.

Bish Denham said...

Yes we do like to make our own drama. But I'm long past that. Enjoying the small and simple things in life is so much more rewarding than being distracted by...the noise. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Nelson Souzza said...

The blog is very good!
Congratulations!
http://nelsonsouzza.blogspot.com

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Simple is the best for sure! I used to live for drama too. I think it was because I was used to living that way, but I finally realized that avoiding the people and the situations that cause drama makes life so much better.

country living said...

Hi Karen! I love it simple! In high school, I loved complicated! Now that I'm married with two teenage boys, I love anything simple! Great post for the letter s!

Martha (MM) said...

I absolutely adore simple, but life seems to have other ideas for me lately! I've never been a fan of drama. I even have a blog named Seaside Simplicity :-)
Thanks so much for stopping by to visit. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

N. R. Williams said...

You sound like me. There are some things that really throw me and I just can't function for a couple days when they happen. Good luck on your path to a truer, happier you.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

Bob Sanchez said...

Simple works for me, Karen. Honestly, though, I like fictional dialogue that's less straightforward.

Amy Brantley said...

I love simple :)

Karen Walker said...

Linda H, I'm with you - definitely wisdom, not age.
Bish, you're welcome
Nelson, thank you so much.
Sharon, so true, so true. Good for you.
Country Living, thank you so much.
Martha, you, too
N.R. Williams, thanks much
Bob, I agree about fictional dialogue
Amy, yes, me, too
Karen

Better is Possible said...

I choose simple.