Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Saturday, April 23, 2011

A-Z Challenge: T - Telling the Truth

Oh, I just had to do this one because of my regular Tuesday feature - Telling the truth Tuesday, even though today isn't Tuesday. So here's my truth for today. Tomorrow I turn 62. My social security checks will begin being deposited into our savings account in June. I've written about this before. I don't know how the time flew by so fast that I am now old enough to get social security, but here I am. My son in 38. No grandchildren yet, but hopefully, one day...

I am not happy with what I see in the mirror. White hair, some wrinkles. My knee aches all the time. I get tired faster. BUT....and it's a big but -

In the meantime, my truth is that I am where I am. I am relatively healthy and strong and active. I am blessed with a loving husband and an amazing community of friends, both real and here in the virtual community. I am getting to do things I've always wanted to do and enjoying life, for the most part. I'm learning to roll with the challenges better and to truly be grateful for the successes.

What's your truth today?
Blessings,
Karen

26 comments:

welcome to my world of poetry said...

A most wonderful post, I was brought up always to be truthful that way you have nothing to hide. but most importantly be true to yourself.

Yvonne,

Lauracea said...

Happy birthday for tomorrow! Lovely day to have a birthday - Easter Sunday.
I try not to keep secrets but some hurt so you tend to bottle them in. Well, I'm going to try: I suffer from depression but I'm a breast cancer survivor. There. How's that?
God bless you too, Karen.
Oh - my mother always lied about her age, but my brother and I always knew because kids do, don't they? Now she's 90, though, she ADDS onto her age: "I'm in my nineties," she says with pride.

Jessica Bell said...

Happy Birthday for tomorrow, Karen! PS: when did you say you'd be in Athens?

Odie Langley said...

Well Karen the truth is I became 64 the 24th of March & I still work about 60 hrs a week & will have to cut way back on hours if I ever start receiving my SS. Like you I am in good health & want to stay active but I also don't want to wait to long to enjoy the fruits of retirement income. Time will tell.Have an awesome weekend.
Odie :)

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, that's right - being true to ourselves is so important, isn't it?
Lauracea, thank you for the birthday wishes. That's quite a secret. And a cancer scare is good reason for depression, in my opinion. But if it continues over the long haul, perhaps not so much. I wish you well with that journey.
Jessica, thanks. We leave the states on 9/24
Odie, Oh, we're close in age. It's a hard choice to know when to stop working working and start working in retirement. I'm working as a writer, but I don't feel like it cause I don't make any money.
Karen

Laura Eno said...

The fabulous part is you are happy with who you are now. (minus the mirror) :)
Happy birthday!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Happy birthday, Karen! Hey, I hate seeing myself grow old as well, but it happens. As my wife says, just stop looking in the mirror.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Happy Birthday tomorrow, Karen! I hope you are getting a birthday cake. My big truth I discovered this year, was that my birthday is worthy of celebrating. I haven't celebrated my birthday since I was 16. Someone always let me down on my birthday, so I crawled in a hole for that whole week. But this year, thanks to some very special bloggy and facebook friends I realized I am worthy of living and celebrating my birthday...even if that person continues to hurt me on my birthday. I realize at 45 this might sound silly, but it was a huge realization for me. I am so grateful to my blog friends...especially Lenny Lee.

Helen Ginger said...

I find that the older I get, the happier I am with myself and my life. That's a truth I didn't expect.

Julie said...

Happy Birthday tomorrow, Karen!! I hope you enjoy your special day.
I love your truth and am working on getting there myself. Best wishes to you!

Karen Walker said...

Laura, maybe I should just get rid of all the mirrors
Alex, I think your wife is right!
Sharon,that is so sad. I am so glad you realized this now because you have so many more birthdays to celebrate!!!
Helen, yes, me, too - happy with who I am. Now if I can only let go of the importance of how I think I look!!!!
Karen

Lynda R Young said...

I love this post. It's so positive and encouraging. It's good to remember all our blessings.

g-girl said...

Happy early birthday to you! my truth for the day? i didn't even realize tomorrow was Easter Sunday!

Karen Walker said...

Hi Lynda, thanks so much. Yes, it's so important to count our blessings.
g-girl, thank you.
Karen

Read my books; lose ten pounds! said...

THe truth...I wanted to sell my kids for a fraction of a second.

kmckendry said...

Happy Birthday tomorrow!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

My truth is that I am sad to realize that Social Security really isn't enough to live on. Unless you move to a third world country.

Mason Canyon said...

I enjoy your Tuesday Truths. Wishing you an early Happy Birthday and Happy Easter. May all your wishes come true and your day be filled with great happiness and love.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Ella said...

Hope you have a wonderful birthday!

Martha (MM) said...

Happy Birthday to you! My truth is about the same as yours. I'm a little behind you in years but boy do they go by fast these days!

Life is like a roll of toilet paper - the closer we get to the end the faster it goes!

Karen Walker said...

Thanks everyone, both for your truths and for the birthday wishes. I'm off to celebrate now....
Karen

My way said...

Welcome to my blog


http://my-way-here.blogspot.com/

K.C. Woolf said...

Happy birthday from me too! :-)

My truth today is that I've been working on my novel and even though it's a challenge on many levels, I love writing. It's the activity that gives purpose and meaning to more or less everything I've ever done.

country living said...

Hi Karen! I used to try to hide my age! I'm 38! My kids are teenage boys, and my youngest tells me all the time I'm old! Here lately, I'm starting to agree with them! Happy Birthday!!

Pearson Report said...

Happy Birthday Karen,

Congratulations on reaching the “social security” milestone.

Twenty-seven years of sitting opposite women, worrying about aging, (I’m an esthetician) I can tell you this truth…

When we look upon another, whom we love and care about, we see only their inner light shining through - seldom, if ever, do we stop and count their lines or their greying hair...this we save for our self when we gaze upon our reflection and feel the need to reflect, often in negative light.

Next time you look upon Karen in a mirror see what others see and you will seldom find a line.

Birthday Hug to you,
Jenny

Ellie said...

Happy belated birthday! A wonderful and inspiring post, Karen.

My truth is that the only person standing in the way of completing my novel is myself.

Ellie Garratt