Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A-Z Challenge: V - Voraciousness

voracious |vəˈrā sh əs|
adjectivewanting or devouring great quantities of food he had a voracious appetite.• having a very eager approach to an activity his voracious reading of literature.
I love this word, although I only use it when referring to myself as a voracious reader. But I love thinking of it as having an eager approach to any activity. I want to be voracious about life, all aspects of it. In my friendships, in my writing, in my singing, whatever I do, I want to approach it voraciously.Do you?
Blessings,Karen


24 comments:

KarenG said...

Yes, except for the food part. I do NOT need to be a voracious eater!

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

Absolutely. Well, except reading. I'm a surprisingly slow reader...

Odie Langley said...

I am a slow reader too but can be a voracious eater when I am not supposed to.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm a voracious movie watcher! Sometimes blogger as well.

Debora Dennis said...

Voracious chocolate eater!
I love that "V" word - fun post!

Joanne said...

Being voracious is definitely a way of "owning" something, putting heart and soul into it. Voracious coffee drinker here :)

welcome to my world of poetry said...

A good V word, loved your description of it.


Yvonne.

Karen Walker said...

KarenG, I'm with you, girlfriend. I can't eat voraciously anymore either.
Paul, I don't think slow means you can't be voracious about it.
Odie, join the club!
Alex, yes, you are!!!
Debora, ooh, I miss eating chocolate. Thanks.
Joanne, yes, that makes sense.
Yvonne, thanks -
Karen

Liz Fichera said...

Well done! Voracious seems to be a popular word today. And it's such a cool word too--kinda rolls off your tongue when you say it.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Voracious is a great word! :) Very passionate.

Karen Walker said...

Liz, hmm, I haven't come across it yet - have to go searching.
Elizabeth, thanks.
Karen

Bish Denham said...

Yep, life is too short not to be a least a little bit voracious from time to time.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. voracious - wonderful word .. I'm a voracious researcher .. that I'll confirm! But I love life and voraciously fill it .. all aspects .. cheers .. enjoy your reading! Hilary

Marjorie said...

I chose voracity for my entry today! Haha!

Julie said...

I've only used this in the context of being a voracious reader as well, but I love the idea of being voracious about life! Great post. :)

Jules said...

I have to admit... if I am going to do something that word would describe it :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Laura Eno said...

I'm a voracious reader AND writer!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Absolutely! Count me in as wanting to be among the voracious. No matter what it is we're doing, if we can fully submerge ourselves in that activity and savor it, then we are truly alive.

Karen Walker said...

Bish, ain't that the truth!
Talli, me, too
Hilary, ooh, researcher, that's cool!
Marjorie, great minds think alike.
Julie,thanks, I like expanding it to all of life as well
Jules, good for you!
Laura, yup
Susan, so true
Karen

Ann said...

A voracious appetite for all the wonders of life, reading, writing, cooking, travel and family life. That is what I wish for. :)

Ann said...

Yes. Definitely. Great word!
Ann Best, Memoir Author

Better is Possible said...

I've been voracious about writing posts for the A - Z challenge.

Melissa Sarno said...

Perfect word. I want to be voracious with my writing and singing too.

Plain Jane said...

Yup, only voracious about food...and sleep. But they are both necessary for living, so doesn't that make me voracious for life?