Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, May 20, 2011

Finding Light in the Midst of Darkness

There is something happening in my life that is dark. I have been asked not to write about it, which is very hard for me. But it eats away at my soul, if I allow it. I have been distracting myself with junk novels and playing mah jong solitaire and watching movies, which is why I am not writing.

That ended Tuesday, when I realized I needed a retreat. I didn't even need to actually get away for a retreat. All I needed was to accept I needed that special retreat time and that I could create that each day for myself by simply shutting down electronic devices, lighting a candle, making a cup of tea, grabbing my journal and just being present.

Without spirituality, my life is empty. I need something outside myself that I can connect with, turn to. Dealing with this life event has made me question everything I've ever believed in, but the truth is, spiritual truths are what make our lives work. Life is difficult. If we accept that, it gets a bit easier. Expecting it to be wonderful and joyous all the time is unrealistic.

So, I am finding candle light in the dark and it is comforting.
Blessings,
Karen

23 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

Keep the candle burning ...

Odie Langley said...

We all need to take your lead my friend.

Dafeenah said...

My candle in the dark is the moonlight on our roof. It's where I go to just breathe. I find myself needing to breathe more lately. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Find your peace. Mine is when I play guitar.

Pixiebaby said...

I hope that the darkness currently touching your life passes soon. You're doing the right thing in finding light with your candles and also taking time out to relax with tea and your journal. Sometimes it's so hard to find peace in the midst of things going on around us and I'm glad that you've found a way to do it.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I too am going through a darkness but I refuse to let it get at me. I am looking forward to my holiday next week, I am doing plenty of relaxation sessions and hope being away from my problem for 2 weeks it will seem bearable on my return. Just keep the candle burning you'll get there...... and so will I.
Yvonne.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. I hope the darkness stays off limits for now and ever .. and you can find your candlelit path towards a fresh dawn.

Be peaceful and thinking of you - Hilary

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

I think the hardest part of any rough time in our lives is when we can't share it. I hope that, even if you can't write about this, you know you're not alone.

Karen Walker said...

Claudia, yes, I will
Odie, this is something I don't feel qualified to lead about, believe me.
Dafeenah, ditto
Alex, yes, it surprises me that I'm not finding it in my singing right now
Pixiebaby, I'm finding moments.
Yvonne, I am so sorry - yes, let's set the intention that we will both get there.
Hilary, thanks so much
Paul, I do know that, for sure. Thanks.
Karen

Halli Gomez said...

Karen, I hope that this difficult event passes soon and smoothly for you. As you can see, you are in all our thoughts and are a few key strokes away.

Fresh Garden said...

No matter what happens, I'm always your candle.

Holly Ruggiero said...

Beautifully said. We've all had dark times and finding that candle helps get us though it. Keep it burning and take care.

Joanne said...

Just knowing that we CAN carve out our own retreat time, with candles, or coffee, or music, gives us a certain power. Our own peace is at our hands, wishing you much of it in your days.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I'm so sorry. Maybe you should write about it ... just for yourself. Sometimes, putting feelings into words provides catharsis, helps clarify those feelings, and helps us deal with them. Hang in there.

L.G.Smith said...

Writing has always been my candle. Other times going for a long walk outside is just the peace I need to wrap my head around a problem. Hugs.

Karen Walker said...

Halli, thanks for that reminder
Fresh Garden, thank you
Holly, yes, we all need those candles
Joanne, yes our peace is in our own hands
Susan, I always have to put my thoughts down on paper, whether or not I can share it publicly.
L.G. Yes, writing is that for me as well. Hugs back to you.
Karen

Helen Ginger said...

Your retreat time sounds fabulous. I hope it helps you deal with this dark time.

Linda Hoye said...

Even though you can't write about this situation publicly, perhaps you can write in the privacy of your journal and that will help you find a measure of peace and understanding. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Anonymous said...

More than candles, you are right that spirituality helps us deal with things that are too big for us. God is my rock. I cling to him when I feel overwhelmed, and who doesn't from time to time. Go to God. Tell him all your troubles.

-Simona

Jules said...

Darkness is what allows the brightness to shine. My heart is still with you my friend. Please keep an eye on that candle though, I don't want "Smoke Signals," to be your next title.
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

K.C. Woolf said...

What I sometimes do if I am dealing with a situation I can't share, is write about it, and then burn the piece of paper.

There's something about seeing the problem / worries go up in flames, and on top of that, it guarantees that nobody will read what you've written.

Just another way of putting your candle to good use. Be safe!

Tracy Jo said...

Karen, sending you positive thoughts. You are so right that when we accept that there will be bad it is easier...we all walk that line between the good and the bad. I am glad you found your own retreat - so important during dark times. May the light shine brighter soon!

Talli Roland said...

Hope everything is okay, Karen. Thinking of you and the candle burning brightly.