Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, May 23, 2011

Monday Musings - mini retreats

Last week I blogged about needing a retreat. As I wrote the blog, talking about planning when and where I would go and whether I would go alone or with a friend, I realized I didn't want to wait. I needed immediate results. I decided to take mini-retreats each day. It's so simple, really. All that's required is to shut down electronic devices, brew a cup of tea, sit and breathe.

When I did this last Tuesday, I immediately began working on my novel. When I did it Wednesday, I immediately felt better about the dark things in my life. When I did it Thursday, my throat opened up and I sang better. When I did it Friday, I had a great performance at an assisted living facility.

I'm convinced. Are you?
Blessings,
Karen

17 comments:

Jules said...

I'm there with you my friend. Been shut down for 10 days but I call mine the chain gang. Unplugged, except for ankle bracelet zapping me to keep working. :D
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Odie Langley said...

Yes Karen I am convinced and will try to find those quiet times for myself as well.

Jennifer Shirk said...

I took an electronic break last week. I feel totally refreshed now!! So yes, I'm convinced. :)

Joanne said...

Yes, always. We have to take care of ourselves first in order to be able to effectively give, to ourselves and others.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad it's made such a difference in your life, Karen!

Linda Hoye said...

Good for you! Yes, I am convinced that if we slow down we will find a measure of peace that is missing when we're constantly "on".

Jan Morrison said...

You've got it exactly right. I'm reading a book I got from a friend last night on Zaizen, which is a Japanese technique for small improvements leading to big changes. yeehaw!
Jan Morrison

baygirl32 said...

Good for you! Real life does have to come first

Melissa Sarno said...

I'm convinced! Now to find 20 min. where I do nothing but drink tea and breathe. Hmm.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I need some mini retreats...

GigglesandGuns said...

Mini retreats are great idea. Good idea to maybe practice each day.

Karen Walker said...

Jules, you continue to crack me up!
Odie, I am a new woman!
Jennifer, yeah for you.
Joanne, I am so getting that now!
Alex, thanks
Linda, it seems so simple...sigh!
Jan, that sounds wonderful. Let us know how it is.
babygirl32 - there is nothing else but real life - it's just about balance
Melissa, you'll be amazed how much more energy you'll have for other stuff if you do find those 20 minutes. Or even 10.
Diane, take them, sweetie, take them!
GigglesandGuns, I am definitely doing this every day that I can.
Karen

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I think that's a wonderful idea, Karen. And I also like the fact that it's not a commitment of time or money--both of which tend to make me feel *more* stressed out than the opposite!

Julie said...

Love the mini-retreat idea! Wonderful that these little quiet moments are helping you as well, sounds great. :)

Holly Ruggiero said...

I need to do this. My brain is misfiring when I write. ;)

Michael Di Gesu said...

I am so glad the mini-retreats are working for you, Karen..... It sounds like you found your muse again. You just needed to relax enough to let her in.

Keep at it....

Kickboxing Los Angeles said...

Disconnecting yourself is the best way to get reconnecting with yourself and inner peace. I always find the same progress after a nice weekend to myself, talking to no one and enjoying what's around me; not what's on TV or the computer.

Sara