Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Review of Following the Whispers

Hi everyone. I don't usually post today, but my good friend, Helen Ginger, http://straightfromhel.blogspot.com/ kindly agreed to review Following the Whispers, my memoir, and it is up today. Please take a moment to check it out. And if you haven't found Helen's blog yet, you'll be glad you mosied on over there, because Helen is a great blogger and a fabulous friend to writers. I am sorry for the confusion from Tuesday's post with folks thinking the review was up that day.
Blessings,
Karen

18 comments:

Lauracea (Sue R) said...

Wow! A hel-of-a-story! Congratulations - it looks a fabulous (if heart-breaking) read.

Odie Langley said...

Wow, that was a great review. She has a way with words too.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Congratulations, will certainly take a look at your review.

Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's great! I'm on my way.

Halli Gomez said...

Congrats on a wonderful review!!! And the guts to tell such a personal story.

Karen Walker said...

Helen most certainly does have a "way with words" and she has been a source of support and strength for writers since I began this blogging journey in 2009. Thank you, Helen, for an honest review of my book. And thanks to all of you who took the time to head over there and read it and comment as well.
karen

Dafeenah said...

Congrats! Was it difficult writing your memoir? Did you "bend" facts to make the story flow better or were you just brutally honest as it happened? I am contemplating writing mine, but not quite sure what is "acceptable" way to approach it.

L.G.Smith said...

Hel-of-a-story. Love that. Congrats!

Karen Walker said...

Dafeenah, your question is one that is extremely controversial in the memoir community. I did not "bend" facts to make the story flow better. That doesn't mean that some might question what I wrote because their memory of an event differs from mine. I wouldn't worry about what is acceptable or not when contemplating writing your memoir. Write what your heart wants and needs you to write. You can always edit later.
L.G. - Yeah, I love that phrase, too.
Karen

Alexis Grant said...

Ooo thanks for the heads up, I'll have a look!

Talli Roland said...

Off to check it out!

Pk Hrezo said...

Coolness! I'll check it out!

Karen Walker said...

Alexis, Talli, and Pk, thanks so much.
Karen

K.C. Woolf said...

That's an amazing review, Karen, congratulations! :-)

Ann said...

Heading right over to read the review.

Karen Walker said...

Thank you guys so much for your support and encouragement.
Karen

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. it sounds as though we should all read it - to remind ourselves about other families and to learn from your experiences. I'm just glad I'm here now and with you at this time .. so I can be with you on your future path.

With thoughts - Hilary

Arlee Bird said...

Excellent review. Helen did your book justice.


Lee
Tossing It Out