Ingredients: Spiritual, Emotional, Physical, Psychic Energy
Everything we think, feel, and do takes energy. Most of our day is taken up with things we are responsible for: our job, where if we don’t do what we’ve been hired to do, we will get fired; our children, where if we don’t feed and clothe and bathe and teach, they will turn into juvenile delinquents and worse; our spouses, where if we don’t love, care and nurture, we will end up divorced; our friends, where if we don’t love, nurture and spend time, we will end up friendless.
When any of the above-mentioned things are out of balance, our inner well being is affected. The question, it seems to me, is, how am I going to spend my energy in any given moment, given there isn’t an unlimited amount of it available. Let’s imagine a pie with 100% energy. We take a big slice of physical energy because we know we need to exercise in order to be healthy. Say it’s 15% of our pie. That leaves us 85%. Our best friend calls in crisis. We talk on the phone for an hour. That’s a 15% slice of emotional energy. Our youngest child is taking an exam today that will determine their eligibility for college. That’s a 10% slice of psychic energy. We’ve already used up 40% of our energy pie.
We know we have work to do. Work that will require physical, emotional and psychic energy. There goes 50% of our energy pie, leaving us 10%. And we’ve done nothing spiritual. We haven’t done our household chores like cooking,cleaning, shopping, making sure the kids do homework, etc. We definitely use up more than our remaining 10% doing all these chores.
Looking at this, I realize I need to change my energy pie recipe. Without the spiritual, I feel drained and depleted and don’t bring my full self to any of the other activities. I want to take a 20% slice of spirituality daily, leaving 80% to divvy up between work, household, hubby, kiddos an friends. Each day a different slice of energy will go to each of those things. Some days hubby will get 20% and kiddos 30. Some days that will be reversed. Some days kiddos will get 50% and hubs 0%. But what should remain unchanged is the 20% spirituality slice.
How about you? How is your energy pie being distributed?