Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Telling the truth Tuesday - I need a retreat

I'm exhausted. No matter how I sleep at night, I'm tired the next day. I just think that worrying about someone extremely close to me who is struggling right now, deliberating about whether to have total knee replacement surgery this year or try to wait a few years, agonizing when the writing doesn't come, and still acclimating to this "retired" state, have all taken a toll. It's time for a retreat.

I love retreats. Each time I've done one, I come back refreshed and renewed. Now I just have to figure out when and where. And whether I want to go alone, or with a treasured girlfriend. And when I don't have Sugartime gigls planned. But a retreat is definitely just the thing. In fact, I feel lighter just realizing that's what I need. Hmmm. Maybe I can make little mini-retreats a part of each day. Yes, that's the ticket. I will turn off the computer, not answer the phone, light a candle, make a cup of tea, take my special journal and pen, and just be. Ooooh, sounds so delicious, I'll see ya all later.

Oh, oh, oh, I almost forgot. Please take a few minutes to visit Helen Ginger's blog:http://straightfromhel.blogspot.com/. She was kind enough to review my memoir, Following the Whispers and it should be on Straightfromhel Thursday, 5/19. If you haven't visited Helen before, you are missing a great blog and a fabulous blogger. Helen is a true gift to writers from any genre.

Blessings,
Karen

30 comments:

KarenG said...

Ah a retreat sounds so nice! Enjoy yours!

Joanne said...

I take those mini retreats all the time, with daily walks, coffee during the day, that sort of thing. They're such a necessary part of the day for me, and inspire my work in many ways. I vote for daily retreats for you :)

Angela Felsted said...

Someday I want to go on a retreat.

L.G.Smith said...

Yes, a retreat, big or small, is a great way to renew. Enjoy!

Melissa Sarno said...

Oooh, a retreat. I could certainly use one of those. I went on a yoga retreat in the fall and I want to relive the experience again very soon. Have fun on your mini-retreats too :-)

Ann Best said...

Oh no. Knee replacement! It just isn't easy growing "older" is it?

And you of all people know how difficult it is to write a memoir about painful things. Thanks so much for your comment just now on my post. I love you, dear lady.

I know how it feels to supposedly sleep and still feel tired! Just keep moving (I hope you can, physically, with bad knees). Retreat, and RELAX. ENJOY. Don't pressure yourself: the writing will come.

Lynn said...

Sometimes I like going on retreats alone. Knowing know one else knows me lets me relax into 'me' more. But sharing the experience with a close friend is wonderful too. I hope you choose one and get to go very soon!

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Karen
Joanne, yes, daily, I think I will do that.
Angela, hope you get to do it soon.
L.G. I so need it!
Melissa, yes, recreating an experience like that is not easy.
Ann, I am so happy for you because I do know. Love you, too.
Karen

Claudia Moser said...

Hourly retreats - sounds like a great idea, I might try it as well. I can totally relate to you, despite a wonderful weekend in Paris, I am still exhausted, I go and wake up with headaches and that worries me a bit. Let us know how it went :) And about the operation, what does the doctor say?

Karen Walker said...

Lynn, yeah, I just can't decide which is better right now - alone or with someone else.
Claudia, I am so sorry. I see the doctor in two weeks. I'll definitely keep you "posted."
Karen

Stephen Tremp said...

Okay, I'm on my way over the Helen's blog and looking forward to her review of your memoirs!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Go on a retreat! Guess taking your husband is out of the question though...

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. a retreat sounds perfect! I'll come with you .. ?! Look after yourself in the meantime ...

I'm on my over to Helen's now .. and looking forward to reading her review .. cheers Hilary

Karen Walker said...

Oops, sorry if I wasn't clear - Helen's review won't be up till Thursday, 5/19.
Stephen, sorry,
Alex, yeah, it wouldn't be a retreat with hubby - it would be a vacation.
Hilary - that would be so cool if we could go together - I actually wrote today. Yippee!!!
Karen

K.C. Woolf said...

Mini-retreats each day: great idea, and feasible for most of us. Thanks, and enjoy yours. :-)

Better is Possible said...

Hmm, a little retreat every day! You've inspired me. Enjoy yours - every little bit of them!

Patricia Stoltey said...

Hi Karen -- I'm a big fan of retreats, including the mini-retreats I arrange when my hubby goes to a bridge tournament. I have 4 or 5 days coming up at the end of May and I have a plan. :)

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

My hubby enjoys a retreat every day. It's called a nap. One of the joys of retirement is you have the luxury of setting your own schedule and to-do list now. Sounds like you need to make a point of scheduling some R&R (or mini-retreats) every day, even if it only means twenty minutes of lying down with your eyes closed.

Julie said...

Enjoy your retreat, sounds like a wonderful idea. And you sure deserve it!
Thanks for sharing Helen's blog, I always love discovering new bloggers to enjoy. :)

Linda Hoye said...

A retreat sounds like a perfect idea. If you're anything like me you appreciate a bit of solitude and silence to help you regain focus and recharge. I wish for you whatever you need at this moment.

Karen Walker said...

K.C. Thanks, I did.
Better is Possible, it worked - I wrote a whole new page!
Patricia, good, a plan is good.
Susan, yup
Julie, I think you'll love Helen's blog.
Linda, is was and is a wonderful idea. I plan to do the mini's every day if possible. Thank you.
Karen

Helen Ginger said...

Knee surgery is a big deal. I've never had it done, but I know I would be in a quandary, too. I have a friend who once a year goes to a little cabin by herself and writes and writes and walks and writes and comes back so energized and happy. I hope you find a place that gives that to you.

Lauracea (Sue R) said...

How wise you are to go on a Retreat. They help me tremendously and I always, without fail, come back refreshed and with more energy. You'll find your happy place there and everything - all your concerns and decisions - will just pop back into their proper places. Good luck and please take it easy.
Off to check Helen's blog....

Liz Fichera said...

Karen, I am so for scheduling retreats! Even if it's just an hour. Or a whole weekend. I think when you know that you're scheduling time just to be, it lightens the load a little bit.

Will check out Helen's blog!

Jules said...

Will you pack me in the trunk? I don't mind, am small and so need one as well. Have a great time Karen.
Peace...
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Kim, USA said...

I go to a monastery for a retreat. A weekend retreat is good just to get out from the hum drum of daily life. Look at your area if there is a monastery close by and check if they are open for retreatants. Just my two cents ^_^
Saw your blog at Kathy's and blog hop here ^_^

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

At retreat sounds wonderful. I'm heading to our lake shack after my daughter gets out of school. We have limited internet there, no cable...and lots of quiet and nature. I can't wait to sleep in and wake up to just write. I'm feeling more peaceful just thinking about it. :)

Nas Dean said...

Hi Karen,

I've never been to a retreat, but yours sound wonderful. Enjoy!

Ann said...

I love retreats. I used to go to a silent retreat once a year. So very calming.

Anonymous said...

buy valium buy roche valium no prescription - valium drug dependence