Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, June 27, 2011

Monday Musings: Ebooks, Boomer Magazine and Sugartime

I am so jazzed. I hired the awesome Diane Wolfe http://circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com/ to help me format "Following the Whispers," my memoir, so that I could publish it on Smashwords. It was great fun working with Diane and hearing the voice that goes with that beautiful face and spirit. Several days later and voila, the book is available now at http://www.smashwords.com for only $2.99. Soon it will be distributed to other e-book outlets. Now all I have to do is let everyone know.

I will be having a book blog tour to launch "Following the Whispers" as an e-book, beginning on 7/11/11. I hope you'll join me as I visit some of my favorite bloggers. Here is the schedule and topics:

7/11/11 - Spunk on a Stick: Managing Expectations
7/12/11 - Ann Best: Writing and White Hair
7/13/11 - Whole Latte Life: What I Love About Self-Publishing
7/14/11 - Pk Herzo: An interview with moi
7/15/11 - KarenG: to be determined
7/18/11 - Mystery Writing is Murder: Finding Balance While Juggling Life
7/19/11 - Thoughts in Progress: Finding Success as a Writer
7/20/11 - Tossing it Out: Do's and Don'ts When Writing Memoir
7/21/11 - StraightfromHel: Writing Memoir versus Writing Fiction - Is There a Difference?
7/22/11 - Alex J. Cavanaugh: 10 Ways To Maintain Sanity While Writing

In other news, Sugartime is having its 15 minutes of fame. Here is a link to an article which appeared in yesterday's Albuquerque Journal, special section Boomer Magazine. Hope you enjoy it. Sugartime story is on page 5 and continued on page 8. http://epaper.abqjournal.com/Olive/ODE/AJSPECIALS/Default.aspx?href=SP/2011/06/26

What are you musing about today?
Blessings,
Karen

24 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

oh oh! Can I be in?

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Good luck with the book and the tour,
Will sure to pop in a few of those sites as I am followers of them.

Have a good day.
Yvonne.

Odie Langley said...

Great post Karen and that was a wonderful article and even better picture of you three. Congratulations.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Thank you Karen, although I think I sound like a dork on the phone. And you were in the ABQ Journal? That's wonderful! Must go read.

Hilary said...

Hi Karen .. that's great - fantastic to have a spread in the local paper .. and yeah .. to the Smashwords conversion and the book tour - looking forward to that.

That must have been fun talking and working with Diane - excellent ... cheers and enjoy all the happenings .. Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Looking forward to hosting you on your tour! And that's awesome your group made the paper.

Joanne said...

What a wonderful profile of your singing group! I'd give it a 4-Cup Rating :)

Karen Walker said...

Jessica, would kill to have your voice here in New Mexico
Yvonne, thanks so much.
Odie, thanks - the photographer was very very pregnant and got down on the floor to take that - it was quite distracting as I was singing, wondering if she'd be able to get back up!
Diane, no, you do NOT sound dorky - you have a lovely voice.
Hilary, thanks so much
Alex, I'm looking forward to it as well.
Joanne - 4 cups - gee, shucks, thanks
Karen

L.G.Smith said...

Looking forward to your blog tour. Congrats on all your good news.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I just bought "Following the Whispers" for my Kindle, so I could have it there, as well...such an inspirational read. :)

Looking forward to the tour and your appearance on my blog!

Congrats on the story on Sugartime!

Karen Walker said...

L.G., thank you so much.
Elizabeth, thanks for your support - I'm looking forward as well.
Karen

Sylvia Ney said...

Congratulations on the book! If you want to post something on my blog about it, (an interview or guest post etc.) just let me know. writinginwonderland@gmail.com

Pk Hrezo said...

Yay for Whispers!! I'm off to download it now! Looking forward to your tour, Karen! :)

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Life just keeps getting better and better, doesn't it? I'm so happy for you. Enjoy your tour!

Suze said...

Congratulations, friend, on all of the exciting things you have lined up!

You should be very proud of all that you have accomplished and are accomplishing.

Karen Walker said...

Sylvia, thank you so much. Would love an interview - I'll be in touch.
Pk, ooh, thank you.
Susan, yes, it is some good moments right now.
Suze, thank you - It feels good - looking forward to meeting you tonight.
Karen

GigglesandGuns said...

WOW Things are really breaking for you. That's so wonderful!

Claudia Moser said...

Will it be available for Kindle too? Pls say yes :)

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

Okay - I'll order as soon as I get home to my own computer today! REgarding your note about marketing - I am at that point! I'll be roughing up my plan this week and maybe we can talk toward the end of next week. Congratulations on giving birth, I will post on my blog about your book. Okay, going to do that now!
Melissa

Melissa Sarno said...

Congrats Karen! Very exciting news. I look forward to all of your blog appearances :-)

Karen Walker said...

You guys are just so totally awesome - I love you all!!
GigglesandGuns, yes, things seem to be stepping up right now. It's very exciting.
Claudia, I think Smashwords is working out the techie details with Amazon so that it can be on Kindle - but not sure when that will happen. Would you like me to mail you a real book?
Melissa, oh, thanks so much. We'll talk whenever you're read - or even get together, since we're so close.
Melissa, thank you so much for your support.
Karen

Jemi Fraser said...

Awesome!!! So many great places for a blog tour!! Can't wait to follow it :)

Anonymous said...

Things are happening for you now. I'm proud to know you.

-Simona

Better is Possible said...

Great article. Keep on going girl! Music IS healing.