Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, June 6, 2011

Monday Musings: Guest Blogger coming and Monday Musings

Stay tuned, my wonderful followers. We have a special guest coming here on Friday, 6/12. Elizabeth Spann Craig http://mysterywritingismurder.blogspot.com/ is one of the first writers I met online and I am so glad I did. Not only does Elizabeth write exceptionally wonderful cozy mysteries, but she is a gift to the writing community. Her blog has been voted 100 best blogs for writers by Writer's Digest for two years in a row, and it is a well-deserved honor.
Elizabeth always has sage advice for us. I especially love when she ties writing to things that are happening in her own life as lessons for us.

Elizabeth will write here on Friday as part of her blog tour promoting her new book, Finger Lickin' Dead.  Her post will help us with staying motivated through rejections. I can't wait and I know you won't be sorry if you come back and meet Elizabeth.

In the meantime, my Monday musings....

Thursday night Sugartime "auditioned" (I have never auditioned for anything in my life) to be part of a community theater production of  "Radio Days." After two short 15-minute pieces, Sugartime will sing three songs from that era. Then the production finishes with a 30-minute piece. We were referred to the theater company by one of the activity directors of a retirement community where we sing on a regular basis. The nice thing about it is we will get to have the experience of singing on a live theater stage, which fulfills my childhood fantasy of wanting to sing in Broadway musicals. Of course, this isn't Broadway, but we can still fantasize, can't we???

What are you all musing about today?

Blessings,
Karen

23 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Pretend it's Broadway and enjoy living the dream!

Joanne said...

Woohoo! Wishing you a sold-out crowd, and of course many encores :)

GigglesandGuns said...

Congratulations to Sugartime!
Broadway is in the mind of the performer.

Better is Possible said...

Well aren't you just a "STAR"! Congratulations! Go, Sugartime, go!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Way to go! That's great and a great experience too!

Looking forward to Friday's post!

Jules said...

So what is they say when going on Broadway? Oh yeah, "Break a leg." Just don't hurt your knee :) Big congrats!
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

D. U. Okonkwo said...

Cool! I'm musing about why it takes so long for some agents to read your full. Oh, well, I'll just make it better in the meantime. :o)

Odie Langley said...

Congratulations on the gig for your group. I am mainly hoping that the compressor for my A/C will be in today so we can move back into our house. It was great to have her mother living right behind us with A/C but you just can't get too comfortable in someone else's house. Have a great week.

Christine Glenna said...

*Finger Lickin' Dead :)

Christine Glenna said...

Also, Congrats on the show! That's gonna be a blast!

Karen Walker said...

Alex, love that idea! I will.
Joanne, thanks.
GigglesandGuns, oh, that's a good way to look at it.
BetterisPossible, well now, I wouldn't exactly stay "star."
Jennifer, you won't be disappointed - Elizabeth's great!
Jules, one of my friends said, "I'd tell you to break a leg, but it's YOU, so I won't.
D.U. I'd be grateful an agent even wants to read a full. Congrats.
Odie, hope that happens.
Christine, Isn't that a great title?"
Christine, thanks, I think it will be a blast.
Karen

Christine Glenna said...

It is a great title. You wrote "Finger Lickin' Good" though. An easy mistake to make, I'm sure.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That's wonderful, Karen!

Hilary said...

Hi Karen .. that's wonderful - congratulations on having the opportunity and going for it - yes IT IS BROADWAY ... your red hair will catch the lights .. and I'm looking forward to Elizabeth's post on Friday .. cheers Hilary

Karen Walker said...

Christine, ooopss, thanks so much for catching that title error.
Diane, thank you.
Hilary,love that - my red hair catching the lights.
Karen

L.G.Smith said...

Congrats on the Sugertime news!

And I'm looking forward to your guest blogger. What a great title --Finger Lickin' Dead. :D

Jemi Fraser said...

Congrats on the Radio Days stint - sounds like a huge amount of fun! :)

I adore Elizabeth - she was one of the first on-line writers I met too. She is classy, kind and a terrific writer!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Congratulations on the big gig!!! Awesome.

Ann Best said...

I hope you have a great experience, Karen! Wish I could be there.

I'll be here on Friday for Elizabeth Craig. I've met her. I haven't read anything yet but this title is intriguing.

I just sent you an email.
Ann

Lynn said...

Congratulations! Singing on stage is incredible. I did it during one production I was in but I must admit that I was told to mouth the words. I guess my voice was not up to par with all the other actors. You are blessed to have a singing voice! And the name of Elizabeth's book has me intrigued!

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Sounds like an incredible experience! I know you'll feel like you're on Broadway. :)

Thanks so much for the plug--I'm looking forward to guesting!

Julie said...

Congratulations on Radio Days! How wonderful!!

I'm looking forward to Elizabeth's post, sounds great.

Belle said...

How amazing to sing on stage!