Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, June 20, 2011

Monday Musings: Support Systems

Just have to tell you guys I got to see Sarah McLachlan Friday nite and if you've never had a chance to hear her in person, run, do not walk. She has such a rich tone to her voice and her range is off the charts. She manages to make it an intimate experience despite singing to thousands. It was awesome. I realized how much I miss going to live music events and will make an effort to do that more. It feeds my soul.

My back had been twinging for a couple of weeks, but then, last week it twanged big time. I couldn't straighten it when I stood up. The spine is all about supporting the body and it got me thinking about support systems and how necessary they are to a healthy life. I think when we're younger, we take our healthy bodies for granted. I know I did. I abused mine with too much food for so many years. And I didn't exercise nearly enough.

Now that I'm 62 and keenly aware of the aging process, I have a deeper respect for the body and wish I could have a do-over. I'd take much better care of it. I have a physical therapist who does a kind of cranial sacral technique and it helped, but it's taking longer than it used to for my back to normalize again. In the meantime, I took the time to get quiet and do some journalling.

One of the strongest support systems in my life these days is this online writing community. All one has to do is mention an issue or a problem or a situation and dozens of responses pop up offering empathy, wisdom, advice, or just an acknowledgement, letting me know I was heard. Do you have any idea how valuable that is?

What are you musing about today?
Blessings,
Karen

23 comments:

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I had back surgery back in 1989 and I thought once I recovered that would be it.......but no, there is a weakness there and causes considerable pain from time to time. If only I had taken more care when younger but one can't turn the clock back, we have to live for the present and the future,

Have a good day,
Yvonne.

Odie Langley said...

Good morning Karen,
I am having a problem staying focused where it comes to my body and weight gain. I went from 200 and I am 5'7" down to 179 and now I am back to my original weight & it makes me ill. Today I am starting again to make it come off & I just wanted to tell someone sort of being accountable. Yes we need each other more than ever.

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

I love Sarah McLachlan. I can just get lost in her voice sometimes.

I know I'm so fortunate to have so many great support networks in my life, from friends and family who want to help out when our baby is born, to the many fantastic writers I've met in person and online. They say it takes a village to raise a child, but not enough is said of the people who are there for you in your adult years.

Dafeenah said...

I hear you about the body. Mine is already crap and I am in my early 30's I dread what it will be like when I am older. Although mine has to do with a car accident but it's still blah.

The online writing community I must say is absolutely freaking AWESOME. I have never in my entire life met such an amazing bunch of people as I have met online. What I like the most is that it's ok to disagree have varying opinions, and be different but you're still accepted by these amazing people and that is so rare and so freaking awesome that I have no other way to describe it.

Joanne said...

Live music events are a treasure in my life, and I go as often as I can. Soaking up that art definitely nourishes my soul.

And I second your thoughts on the online writing community. It's like stopping by every day over the virtual backyard fence and seeing what's going on with everyone. Cheers to that :)

GigglesandGuns said...

The online support system is the best. Don't you find that just seeing certain names in the comments can bring a smile to your face?
Take care. Backs can be tricky.

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, that's so hard - having surgery to correct a problem and then still having a problem - I feel for you.
Odie, perhaps we can email about your weight - you know I've struggled with it and have been somewhat successful.
Paul, so excited about your baby - and yes, it takes a village.
Dafeenah, freaking awesome is a good term to describe it.
Joanne, love that image of the virtual backyard fence
GigglesandGuns, yes, I love seeing comments from certain folks
Karen

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yes, the online support is awesome! It's gotten me through some rough days.

L.G.Smith said...

The online community is great. So supportive, it's true.

I can relate to the back problems. I haven't had a day with out back pain in probably ten years. I still exercise five days a week, though. Can't imagine what shape I would be in if I didn't.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I hope you feel better! Hurting backs are miserable.

I love the online community! Makes me smile. :)

Suze said...

Echo.

Arlee Bird said...

Yeah! Do-over--I'm for that. If I knew then what I know now. Actually I think I kind of did know, but who listens when you're having fun and feeling fine? And yes, love the support system of the online community.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Jules said...

I so want a DO-OVER, wouldn't that just be the thing?! I'm musing as the whether I said something I should have not or you just do not like me anymore? :(

Well I still like you, hope your back gets better.
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Julie said...

I'm sorry you are having back trouble, I hope your back is better soon. The concert sounds wonderful, I think Sarah McLachlan has such an extraordinary voice.
The online community really is so special, I've been amazed how supportive people are and it's a real treasure.

Take care!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Still being fairly new to the blogosphere, I'm amazed by the wonderful, funny, talented, supportive people who are writing blogs. The feeling of community here is far greater than I ever imagined.

As for taking care of our bodies, when my uncle was well into his nineties, he used to lament that if he knew he was going to live so damned long, he would've taken better care of himself. I reckon it's part of human nature to think we're bullet-proof when we're young.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, it gets me thru some rough days, too - and the good ones as well.
L.G. OMG, 10 years. I'm so sorry...
Elizabeth, back is better a bit each day, thanks
Lee, if only we could have do-overs
Jules, what makes you think you said something wrong? I still love you...
Julie, oh yeah,
Susan, so true
karen

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh my gosh, yes, the online community is so wonderful and supportive.

Glad you had a nice time at the concert. I love Sarah McLachlan's voice. It's the kind you want to hear just acoustically all the time. :)

Pk Hrezo said...

I totally agree! Life can get pretty hectic and brutal, but logging on to the writing/blogging community is a breath of fresh air. So much support and generosity! :)
In my thirty-somethings I'm trying to take extra good care of my body now. I'm glad you reminded me how important it is!

Karen Walker said...

Jennifer, her voice is truly amazing.
Pk, good for you - keep that up - it's so important.
Karen

L. Diane Wolfe said...

As we age, it gets tougher. I was doing great until I hit 40. Still look good for my age, but now my body reminds me I'm no longer 25. Pits!

Vicki Rocho said...

I agree the online community is mega-supportive.

Glad you had a good time at the concert!

Mary Aalgaard said...

That cranial sacral therapy is great. I haven't done a true session, but I learned some techniques and totally get it. I use a ball to open my core and stretch my back and I feel so much better.
And, I'd LOVE to hear Sarah live. I love her voice and her songs.

Claudia Moser said...

Very nice words about the on line community and so true! Hope you will be better!