Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A review of the memoir, In the Mirror, by Ann Best

A review of the memoir, In the Mirror, by Ann Best
Ann Best knows how to tell a story. And tell it well. Memoir is not for the faint of heart. Especially memoir dealing with being a Mormon and having a homosexual spouse. There were so many times Ann could have gone astray with this story because there are so many facets to it. But she didn’t. She held true to the idea of memoir, which is to follow one thread of your life and don’t try to deal with all of your life. Ann did that brilliantly.
She follows the thread of first meeting and falling in love with her husband, Larry, through the first years of their marriage and having children, to the discovery of his affairs with men. The memoir covers hers and Larry’s attempts to save their marriage until it finally disintegrates and Ann is faced with being the single parent of four children.
If that wasn’t enough to deal with, two of Ann’s children are involved in an automobile crash that severely injures one daughter and permanently disables the other. Memoir is meant to teach us about life. By reading another’s story, we are able to empathize with and perhaps learn from their circumstances and choices.
In the Mirror allows us to do both--empathize and learn; not an easy task for the memoirist. But Ann Best is a brilliant writer and she captured my heart with her soul-wrenching story.


You can find Ann blogging at:  http://annbest-jen.blogspot.com/ to find out how to purchase her memoir. You won't be sorry.


P.S. Please don't forget to stop by on Friday, 6/10 for a guest post by Elizabeth Spann Craig. She's going to talk about staying encouraged during the querying process.


Blessings,
Karen

21 comments:

Suze said...

Ann Best must be either an amazing writer, an amazing friend or both-- I'm guessing both-- because I have seen reviews of her memoir all over the blogosphere! :)

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

Excellent review, Karen. I'm not normally drawn to memoirs, but I might have to check this one out.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Wonderful review, Karen! Ann is an amazing person to share this story and help others learning about living life.

Joanne said...

I find memoirs to be fascinating, getting that glimpse at someone's life in a focused way. Kudos to Ann for finding meaning and wisdom in the tragedies she suffered.

Jules said...

Wow, I know Ann but had no idea! And you my friend did an excellent job reviewing the book. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Talli Roland said...

I'm a big fan of memoirs, and I'm eagerly awaiting Ann's to be on Kindle. I can't wait to read it. Thank you for the review!

Ann Best said...

Suze: I just went over and found your lovely blog.

Paul: My friend and fellow blogger Richard Hughes loved it and posted a review. I wondered if it would appeal to men. So you might like it, too.

Elizabeth: I'm hoping it will help others who struggle through life, whatever that struggle is.

Joanne: I didn't read memoirs when I was younger--they may not have been the rage--but now they're my favorite. There are so many good ones out there.

Jules: It IS a great review, probably because Karen is a great writer. I'm hoping more people will find and read her memoir. I'm going to put up a post now right now that will point people her way. And I'm always glad to see your beautiful eyes on my blog.

Talli: It IS out on Kindle and on the Nook. I'd love to know what you think, and have you write a review for me on Amazon if you like it.

Karen Walker said...

Ann, you are the biggest sweetheart.
Karen

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good review for Ann! Looking forward to Elizabeth's post. I'm hosting her in a couple weeks.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Karen,

What a wonderful review of Ann's memoir. She is such a special lady. I am getting it this week. I can't wait to read it. I hope I do as glorious job of reviewing as you have.

I will definitely be back on Friday... enjoy the rest of your day.

Helen Ginger said...

Sounds like a very interesting memoir. Thanks for the review.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

What a great review. Thank you, Karen.

Ann Best said...

Alex: I'm looking forward to that post, too.

Michael: I'm so excited to get your response.

Helen and Susan: Thanks for stopping by.

Old Kitty said...

A wonderful review, thank you Karen, thank you Ann! I'm on page 13!! :-) It's rivettingly excellent!!!! :-) Take care
x

L.G.Smith said...

I've been hearing good things about this memoir. Sounds like a powerful story that needed to be told.

K.C. Woolf said...

Thank you for the recommendation, it sounds like an interesting book!

Looking forward to Elisabeth S. Craig's guest post as well. :-)

Anne R. Allen said...

What a great review. Ann is amazing. I love what you said about a memoir needing to follow one thread through a person's life. So many memoirs remain unpublished because people try to write autobiography--giving each aspect of their lives equal weight. It doesn't make for very exciting reading. But Ann's book sounds exciting indeed.

I look forward to Elizabeth's post here on Friday. She'll be on my blog on Sunday.

Linda said...

I just finished Ann's memoir. She is a courageous woman, indeed.

Hilary said...

Hi Karen .. this is a great review and I wish both Ann and you every success with your memoirs - refreshing memoirs, with no ghost writers to titillate, are the stuff good books are made of .. thanks - Hilary

notesfromnadir said...

Wonderful review! I'm immersed in the book right now!

Patricia Stoltey said...

I just received my copy of In the Mirror and am looking forward to reading Ann's story. Thanks for this review, Karen.