Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Telling the Truth Tuesday - African Cats

It's been 100 degrees or close to it over the past few days here in Albuquerque. No wonder I'm feeling those lazy, hazy days of summer. And they are still hazy from all the wildfires. None near our home, but much of our beloved, enchanted lands are ablaze.

Saturday hubby had to work, so I took myself to the $1.50 theater and saw African Cats. It had come out on Earth Day this year, but I missed it. It follows two mother cats, one a Cheetah, and one a lioness, who live in Kenya on opposite sides of a river.

I'm in one of those serendipitous places in my life where books, movies, conversations, etc. can help me process whatever it is I am working on. Currently, that is a book on buddhism called "Awakening the Buddha Within." I am learning about the concept of impermanence and how everything in our life is like bubbles on a stream.

Seeing African Cats helped me get that in a visceral and visual way. Life there has so many hazards, seen and unseen. A pride of four male lions trying to overcome the one male lion who guards the lionesses and their cubs. The crocs lurking in the river. Hyenas, birds of prey. You get the idea.

Life is impermanent. So what are we going to do with the moments that we have? Me, I'm going to give my energy and attention to that which feeds my soul: my family and friends, Sugartime, and writing.
How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

28 comments:

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Me? I love first my family(though one son has given up on me) but I still have a daughter and a grandson,also a son in Spain.Then I love my writing and all the cyber friends I have made.
And last but not least if I can help anyone anywhere I'll be there,

Yvonne.

Odie Langley said...

I sit here and think back and know that there could have been a number of answers to that question depending on where I was in this 64 year journey. Now I see my attention primarily towards Linda, Rocky and my girls.

Joanne said...

Nice thoughts today. I think many people waste their energies on frivolous and distracting things that take them further away from that soulful connection. What feeds my soul? Family, a peaceful home, music, my garden, writing, and friends.

L.G.Smith said...

I'm trying to avoid the crocs right now -- those wide jaws of rejection that snap at me every time I dip my toe in the query river. :P

If I don't get eaten alive by the query process, I'll be spending my energies on some new writing and my family.

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, you are such a love
Odie, Linda, Rocky and the girls are very lucky
Joanne, except for your garden, we have similar lists - I have a black thumb
L.G. Oh, I feel your pain - in African Cats, the cats would have to cross the croc-filled river - it was terrifying that those jaws might suddenly snap them away, but they made it across. You will, too.
Karen

Liz Fichera said...

It is 115 degrees today in Phoenix, Karen. A cold movie theatre might just be the ticket today. :-) Have not heard of AFRICAN CATS but sounds intriguing. I love documentaries/stories about animals.

Sharon Lippincott said...

My heart clenches at the thought of a charred Land of Enchantment. I'm still recovering from the sight of the newly burned mountains behind my girlhood home in Los Alamos. I've been unable to get a report on the state of recovery there.

For those into mystical reading mode, I just finished Robert Redfield's fourth volume, THE TWELFTH INSIGHT. Like THE CELESTINE PROPHESY and following titles, this one tends to the trite and overly dramatic, but it is food for thought. In spite of their lack of literary weight, I love those books in much the same way that I enjoy scarfing down a good romance novel now and then. At least Redfield gives us something substantial to ponder, and our lives will be better if we apply his simplified guidelines the best we can.

Karen Walker said...

Liz, yikes, I thought it was hot here at 100.
Sharon, it is heart-breaking to watch the spread of fires across the Land of Enchantment. I loved The Celestine Prophecy. Will have to check out this latest one. Thanks.
Karen

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Try close to a hundred degrees with high humidity! And people wonder why I live at the movie theater...

Suze said...

'A pride of four male lions trying to overcome the one male lion who guards the lionesses and their cubs.'

This is alarming, a bit enraging and-- according to Farley Mowat's 'Never Cry Wolf' -- very little like the manner in which wolves behave toward one another, their families, and even humans.

GigglesandGuns said...

So far it's pretty comfortable here. Periodic showers and thunderstorms. I keep praying the rain will move to our seven burning states to save them.

Talli Roland said...

Karen, I always love your posts - they make me feel so grounded. It's been so hot here I'm feeling a bit lazy too. Today a massive thunderstorm came in and I've been enjoying the fresh air.

Claudia Moser said...

A wonderful post today, simply chilling me down after a hectic day!

Connie Arnold said...

The fires spreading and leaving such destruction in it's path is frightening and sad. Glad they are not near your home. You have good intentions for using your time and energy. I'm hoping to encourage and comfort people through my writing during these difficult days in which we live.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, it's a great way to stay cool!
Suze, the animals in the wild march to different drummers, I guess
GigglesandGuns, we so desperately need moisture
Talli, thank you so much - can you send that massive thunderstorm over the ocean to us?
Claudia, thank you
Connie, yes, writing can help calm our spirits
Karen

Jules said...

How do you do it, that is what I want to know? Exactly what I was writing about this morning and changed it to the funny version people read.

My energy goes to what the universe deems worthy at that given moment, much as yours. :)

(Inner) Peace...
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna lurk.
-Simona

Mojo said...

Serendipity is a marvelous thing. Magical thinking is pooh-poohed in our culture almost as much as it is cryptically invoked - but I agree with you that there are times when everything seems to be speaking to us of what we would learn.

A favorite quote regarding enlightenment: "before enlightenment, rivers are rivers and mountains are mountains. During enlightenment, rivers are not rivers and mountains are not mountains. After enlightenment, rivers are again rivers and mountains are again mountains."

I find I oscillate between living in moments and living beyond them. I'm getting a little better at making that a conscious choice; learning to choose which are the experiences I won't miss, and which are the ones I'll come to treasure.

Julie Musil said...

I'll bet that movie was fascinating. True, life is hurtling past us. We must enjoy the ride!

Lynn said...

I've seen the advertising for that movie and it does look beautiful. God, family and friends and self-care (which includes writing and photography) are my top three.

Karen Walker said...

Jules, how do I do what, dear one?
Simona, lurk away....
Mojo, beautifully written comment here - love what it says, too.
Julie, the movie was fascinating and I am continually reminded to enjoy the ride!
Lynn, yes, it was.
Karen

Helen Ginger said...

I am so with you, Karen. I've had something recently happen in my life that has made me rethink the moments and people in my life.

Karen Walker said...

Helen, I hope all is okay - sending you loving thoughts.
Karen

Arlee Bird said...

Never heard of the movie, but I always enjoy well-made nature films.

Time for my family is always important, as is my writing, and when I think of my sugar time it has to do with eating things I shouldn't but do anyway--sugary treats are difficult for me to resist sometimes.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Mary Aalgaard said...

Sounds like an interesting movie. I'm embracing life. Arms open wid.

Mary Aalgaard said...

wide.

K.C. Woolf said...

'give my energy and attention to that which feeds my soul': yes! :-)

JournalWithSue said...

Thank for the tip. I wnat to see it. Love the blog. Here's to the magic of the Southwest!