Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, July 1, 2011

Meeting blogger friends in person

Monday night I had the amazing experience of meeting a fellow blogger in person. It is the first time since I began blogging in 2009. Jody Hedlund blogged about whether online friendships were genuine here: http://jodyhedlund.blogspot.com/ and I'm here to say that, yes, for sure, they are.

Despite our age difference, the lovely Suze: http://girlwizard.blogspot.com/ and I found kindred spirits in one another. We've had very different life experiences and, of course, are in different stages in our life, but we share a love of writing and from that base, we were off and running. Or rather talking--non stop for two hours.

We met at Barnes and Noble Cafe. At one point, Suze said she wanted to see if they had a copy of my memoir so she could buy it and have me sign it for her right there. Well, of course, they didn't, but Page One, a large, independent Bookstore in Albuquerque does stock it. So we drove over there. What a kick!

The motto of this story? Connections that happen online can absolutely be the genuine, real deal friendship. It's just that all the communication takes place with words on a page instead of eye contact, inflection of tone, etc.

Thanks, Suze, for a lovely evening.
Blessings,
Karen

P.S.
I am sorry for not visiting your blogs today - I had a procedure yesterday and I'm still out of it.
Have a wonderful weekend, folks.
Karen

21 comments:

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Pleased your meeting went well. I went to Nashville in Feb. this year and met up with a blogging friend of mine and her husband who took me around Nashville showing me the different sights. so I agree with you Yes meeting up is possible and do happen.
Yvonne.

sue said...

Thankyou for this Karen, it's something I'd been wondering about. Sue

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Sounds like you and Suze had a great visit! I've met some blogging friends before and felt the same way. :)

Odie Langley said...

So glad you had that experience. I hope to do the same some day with some friends I have in SC.

Richard said...

I've often wondered how it would go if I met in person someone I've met through blogging. I feel like I know them, but would we have much to say after a few preliminaries? I suppose I'll find out someday.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Page One is such a great store! It was right around the corner from where we lived on Candelaria, so we visited often. Happy you got to meet a fellow blogger. Hopefully we'll visit NM again so I can meet you in person!

Joanne said...

What a fun time ... friends, books, coffee ... All from the very act of blogging!

Have a great holiday weekend, Karen :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Awesome you got to meet Suze - she's cool!

GigglesandGuns said...

I think it would be great to a friend from Cyberville. Glad it went so well for you.

L.G.Smith said...

How fun! I do think most of my on-line friendships are genuine. I've also made fast friends at conferences. The writing is the common bond. Most of us could talk about it for hours. :)

Talli Roland said...

Oh, I'm so jealous. You're both so wonderful - I'd love to meet you in person! I have been lucky enough to meet quite a few blogging buddies and they're always wonderful!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

How wonderful that your in-person meeting lived up to your expectations. With writing as a common bond, I'm not at all surprised. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Claudia Moser said...

That is lovely! I wish I could meet you too :-) And I do hope you feel better! Have a nice weekend.

Siv Maria said...

Someday I hope to experience the same thing! havea wonderful week-end and feel better.

Suze said...

My dear Karen, I am pleased by how much the Beatles plays into your memoir. The subtle allusions at just the right spots really elevate the experience for me.

:)

Helen Ginger said...

It sounds like y'all had a great time talking and getting to know each other in person.

I hope you're back up and singing now.

Karen Walker said...

Feeling better today, but still not 100%. It's amazing how long drugs stay in your system. Yuck!
Karen

Lynn said...

I would love to meet blogger buddies. Yes, the relationship starts virtually but words on paper are concrete and, in my case anyway, share more of me than my speaking voice. I'm glad it worked out for you and Suze, and I hope you are feeling better.

Hilary said...

Hi Karen .. how wonderful to read about .. and the fact that you got in the car and drove to get your book .. I agree - Suze sounds delightful.

Hope you get better .. and are feeling so by now .. Happy 4th July day .. cheers Hilary

Arlee Bird said...

What fun! I've met one so far, but look forward to meeting others one day. Wish there was a blogger conference that we could attend.
Hope you're doing better now.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Karen,


I absolutely agree! How wonderful that you met and had a great time.

In April I met my first blogger friend while we were both on vacation in Orlando, Florida. Now next weekend I plan to go to her home town, about a four hour drive from where I live and hang out with her and her hubby once again. TOO fun.

Yesterday I met with another blogger friend who is visiting Chicago this weekend. We had a short but sweet meeting chirping happily away about Harry Potter and our mutual books. We both never knew that both our books are fantasies featuring elementals. Such fun.