Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Blog on Fire award

The delightful Siv Maria, http://sivmaria.blogspot.com/ passed along the Blog on Fire award. 














Thank you, Siv. She says I give her hope. I love that. Here are the questions I am to answer:





Are you a rutabaga? I don't even know what a rutabaga looks like, let alone act like one. I am more of an artichoke heart kinda gal.


Who is your current crush? The actor who plays Steve McGarrett on Hawaii Five-O - I think his name is Alex O'Laughlin.

a picture that makes you happy. 



Hubs and I dancing on our Caribbean cruise

















When was the last time you ate a vine-ripened tomato?  Months ago. I can't eat tomatoes (sigh!) - acid reflux.

Name one habit that causes other people to plot your demise?  Probably the fact that I have to eat at certain times and frequently don't eat with others because I do my own food.

What is the weirdest, most-disgusting job you've ever had to do? Hmm, can't think of a disgusting job, but the one I hate the most is filing.


Where da muffin top at? I'm an idiot - don't understand the question.

What author introduced you to your genre? Gosh, I don't remember the first memoir I ever read, but I remember how I felt reading someone else's life story and how I learned from it.

 Describe yourself using obscure Latin words.  Can I use pig Latin? Dang, I don't even remember how to do that....



I hereby pass this along to:


http://annbest-jen.blogspot.com/

http://girlwizard.blogspot.com/

http://pk-hrezo.blogspot.com/



22 comments:

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Congrats on your well deserved award and to those who you passed it on to, Loved the answers,

Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations! And beware of those Alex crushes...

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

If it makes you feel any better, I don't have a clue what the muffin top question means, either.

L.G.Smith said...

Congrats on your Blog on Fire award. I don't know what a rutabaga looks like either. Who comes up with these questions?

Liz Fichera said...

Congrats on the award! We share the same crush on Alex O'Loughlin.

Jessica Bell said...

LOL. I don't understand that muffin question either ... Lovey photo of you and your husband!

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, thanks
Alex, made me smile - I have no idea what you look like - you don't have a profile photo - how come?
Susan, phew!
L.G. good question!
Liz, we have good taste!
Jessica, thanks - it's one of my favorites.
Karen

Jules said...

Congrats on the well deserved award. Yeah, I read that muffin question 3 times and still don't get it. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Manzanita said...

Muffin top? Must be a kid thing. Don't get it either.
Congrats on your award.

Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

Suze said...

Love the pic of you and hubs dancing!

Karen Walker said...

Jules, so glad I'm not the only one
Manzanita - yeah, must be
Suze, me, too.
Karen

Nancy said...

Congratulations, Karen! I just finished reading your memoir and I want to give you an award too! Loved your answers to the questions and the sweet photo. The only muffin top I know is the squishy roll of blubber that appears above the waistband of our jeans when we've gone beyond our ideal weight :/

GigglesandGuns said...

I scheduled mine to post tomorrow. So glad I'm not alone in the "what the heck are you talking about" division.

Great choices for the pass-on.

I'm thinking so hard I forgot to say -- Congratulations!

Helen Ginger said...

Love the picture. And you do seem more artichoke than rutabaga. You're layered with lots of good stuff.

Siv Maria said...

Ha ha nice answers :) I just found out what a muffin top was from my son who happened to creep into my blog seeing that his picture was there. I took it literally,lol...wrong! it is the fat that comes over the pants line because the pants are too tight. Go figure!

Karen Walker said...

Nancy, wow, thanks
Gigglesandguns, so glad I'm not the only one. But now we know what it is, LOL.
Helen, ooh, thank you
Siv, yeah for the young ones.
Karen

Liz Fichera said...

P.S. I left reviews of your memoir on Goodreads and Barnes & Noble. Thank you for sharing your story, Karen.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm a vegetarian and I don't even know what a rutabaga is!

Karen Walker said...

Liz, thanks so much for that
Diane, LOL
Karen

Pk Hrezo said...

How fun, Karen! Thanks for the award... I'll answer them asap. We're on the final closing days of our new home and work work working away at getting it cleaned up and move in ready. SO excited!!
I LOVE that pic of you and your hubs. Beautiful!

K.C. Woolf said...

Congratulations!

What a lovely picture. :-)

Ann Best said...

Thanks, Karen, for thinking of me! Your answers are better than any I could come up with. Especially the picture. LOVE that one! :-)