Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, August 26, 2011

Gloria Steinem

Last weekend I happened to catch a few minutes of a documentary, Gloria, in her own words. I wish I'd seen the entire film because Gloria Steinem is one of my heroines. I am not, nor have I ever been a political person, but having come of age in the 1960s, one couldn't help being caught up in what was happening.
In the film, I caught snippets of marches on Washington, women burning bras, angry men, newscasters poking fun and misinterpreting statements, and it made me realize that the 60's had a huge impact on my psyche. It's easy to think of the 60s in terms of music--think folk songs like Blowin' in the Wind, and then the British invasion, and music was never the same again, and forget about the assassinations: JFK, Bobby, Martin Luther King, Medger Evers, the KKK. Civil Rights, women's rights, the Vietnam war, all happening in one decade. I was 11 in 1960.

I've written a lot about my dysfunctional childhood, the impact my parents' fighting had on me, the sexual abuse at seven. But I've never explored the impact growing up in the 60s had. It's got me thinking. Uh oh.
So expect a few posts on this topic over the next few weeks--maybe. We'll see if they develop, but it's definitely something that's on my mind.

What's on your mind today?
Karen

15 comments:

Jules said...

I saw the entire thing and YES, she is one of my hero's as well. And I was 2 in 1960 but the generation shaped us all whether we realized it or not.

Don't you be pondering bringing back burning bras, they cost to much today. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Looking forward to it! I was born in the sixties - does that count?

L.G.Smith said...

Crazy times. I was mostly too young to remember, but I had older sisters caught up in the happenings. Mostly I remember the music.

Stephen Tremp said...

I was born in the 60s so I'm more a product of the 70s. But I do remember when the Beatles broke up. I was totally into the Monkees but my older siblings were devestated.

Suze said...

Karen, I am *really* looking forward to reading what you will post in the next few weeks.

The '60s were a dividing point, culturally, in this country and the departures that were begun at that time were radical. I wrote a paper in college about how the '60s were a delayed response to the wartime '40s.

Excellent that the documentary got you thinking in this direction.

Eve said...

I was born in 1960, so I was shaped more by the '70's I'd say, but I do remember things from the '60's..like the assasination of RFK, the moon landing, the Beatles and the Monkees! Ed Sullivan (with Topo Gigio), I Love Lucy, (which was in reruns even then!), The Wonderful World of Disney..and The Bugs Bunny Show on Sunday nights...I also remember seeing hippies...don't remember much of the woman's movement in the sixties, but I do remember the debates and things that took place in the '70's..I remember that in the '60's men wore fedoras with their suits. Everytime I saw a 'grown-up', he had on a suit with a hat..I'm looking forward to your series...

Karen Walker said...

Jules, no worries about bra burning - I promise.
Alex, of course it counts.
L.G. I think that's what most of us remember - the music
Stephen, I liked the Monkeys, too, but the Beatles - there was never anything like them.
Suze, I'd be interested in that paper.
Eve, you've brought back even more memories - thank you.
Karen

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Sounds like a great series to do, Karen! I'll enjoy it. :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Since I don't remember the 60's, I think it would be fascinating.

Karen Walker said...

Well now, I hope it begins to flow - my writing has just not been happening lately.
Karen

Julie said...

I wish I had seen this documentary, I'm going to have to keep an eye out and see if it will be shown again. I find Gloria Steinem so inspiring.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts about all this in the weeks to come! And, I hope your writing will start to flow again, that is very frustrating for sure.

Have a nice and relaxing weekend!

Tabitha Bird said...

I so wish I had be born early enough to appreciate the sixties. I will be reading your posts with relish!

PS- I know I owe you an email and a phone call is still forth coming between us. I am kicking my butt into action this week :) I am slowly emerging from the snails shell. Please bare with me ?
X
Tab (daughter :)

Ann said...

Looking forward to reading your explorations into how the 60's impacted your life.

Talli Roland said...

Gloria rocks, there's no two ways about it!

It's Carnival weekend here in Notting Hill right now, so what's on my mind is... PARTY! :)

Wendy said...

I was born in the late 60's so I missed all that but I have many women friends who were old enough to be aware of the women's movement during that time or actually participating in it. A big lament with them is that women of my generation and younger have no real idea the struggle that took place.