Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, August 15, 2011

Monday Musings: Family reunions

Hi everyone. Hope you are all okay - missed checking in with you this last week, but I was in Estes Park, Colorado at a family reunion. My husband is one of five siblings. Each one came, with their now grown children, and their children's children. We were 27 in all. Each family stayed in their own condominium unit. The units border a small stream, surrounded by mountains. It was quiet and quite lovely. Everyone had breakfast together, then went off for whatever adventures, then came together for dinner.

I am an only child and only have a few first cousins, so being part of a big family has been a new experience for me. There is raucous laughter, lots of teasing, so many people talking at once it is quite difficult to get a word in edgewise. By the time you might have a chance to respond to something someone said, the topic has shifted to something else.

It was really wonderful seeing everyone - it's been about a year since we'd seen most of the family.

21 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

My family used to occasionally have family reunions when I was a child. I remember being amazed by them and just watching everyone from a distance. :) Sounds like your husband's family has a lot of fun--glad you could make the trip!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. that's great - they sound like big happy family .. every content with each other .. must have been enjoyable for you, and for your husband to catch up with his siblings etc ... Everyone mucking in together ..

Just delighted you had such a fun time - enjoy the rest of summer ..cheers Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you had a good time! My family isn't large either, so that many people would scare me.

welcome to my world of poetry said...

Lovely to have you back, pleased you had a good time.

Have a good day,
Yvonne.

Dafeenah said...

Sounds like it was a beautiful place. I know the feeling. I am an only child and wasn't around people much growing up (that makes me sound feral lool) so being around my husband's ginormous family at times is a bit overwhelming.

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeth, I spent a lot of time this week observing. I used to feel left out, but when you are a watcher, it's different.
Hillary, thanks, you, too.
Alex, it is a bit scary.
Yvonne, thanks
Dafeenah, being an only child had some advantages, but it certainly didn't give me the experiences one needs to understand the dynamics between siblings.
Karen

Jules said...

Yeah, you have to speak fast at family reunions. Glad you had such a great time in a wonderful place. I love that park. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Suze said...

Family reunions are great fun, but can also be a bit draining.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

My mother came from a very large family, and everyone used to get together for all kinds of multi-generational activities. Parties, sing-alongs, bowling, vacations, cook-outs, etc. Wonderful memories. It sounds like you created some wonderful memories with your hubby's family, too.

Carol Kilgore said...

What a great experience. I'm glad you had fun!

Karen Walker said...

Jules, I thought I spoke fast, coming from NY and all, but not in big groups. Estes Park sure is beautiful.
Suze, you're right - I am drained.
Susan, it is great fun - we had a two-table poker tournament.
Carol, thanks
karen

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That's a good sized family reunion. Glad you are back home, Karen.

KarenG said...

Estes Park is beautiful, what a lovely setting for a reunion! Welcome back!

Karen Walker said...

Diane, yup, it's a good sized family.
Karen, thanks.
Karen

Michelle Fayard said...

I can imagine what it was like for you, Karen, because I’m an only child and an only grandchild who married into a very large family whose first language isn’t English. Holidays are joyous chaos at my in-laws’ home. :)

K.C. Woolf said...

I'm glad you had a good time. :-)

Are you enjoying the peace and quiet now you're back? :-)

Karen Walker said...

Michelle, joyous chaos - I love that expression.
K.C., it hasn't been peaceful or quiet just yet - too much laundry, food shopping, and just catching up, but tomorrow....
Karen

Claudia Moser said...

Seems like you had fun :)

L.G.Smith said...

I hope my state treated you right!

Estes Park is my one of my favorite places. My parents lived there for twelve years, and my husband and I got married there.

Glad you're back.

Mason Canyon said...

Sounds like you had a great time. Family reunions can be lots of fun. Glad you're home safe and sound.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress
Freelance Editing By Mason

Crystal Pistol said...

Sounds like fun! Large families are the best!